Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Can members of a shared folder edit from the Dropbox folder?

New member | Level 2

I have very little experience with Dropbox so apologies if this question is really dumb.

I have set up a DB folder on my desktop PC that I sometimes access via my laptop or iphone, - no problem.

This folder is shared to 3 other people who all have editing permision. What i am not clear about, is should they each have a copy (DB folder) on their computers that automatically syncs all copies when edited (as mine do), or should they access the folder online to make any edits? I hope this makes sense.

What i'm getting at is that when i need to edit i go to the folder on my PC and it syncs/updates online accordingly (obviously what Dropbox is about). But is the MO the same for the sharing parties or do they actually need to go online to edit?

Thanks in advance for your input

Terry

1 Reply

Re: Shared folder

Dropboxer
Hey Terry!

For this reason, users don’t need to navigate to the website to make changes, they can do it directly from the desktop app on their computers or the mobile app on their mobile devices, as long as they are part of and are making these edits in the shared folder. 

More information
I also wanted to mention that if you’re sharing a folder or file with a lot of users, you can also check out the Dropbox badge, which alerts you as people open, edit, and update a file that you’re currently workin....
If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to get back to us, we are always just a click away. winking face

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can members of a shared folder edit from the Dropbox folder?
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post