cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can not overwrite file in DropBox

Can not overwrite file in DropBox

sharonatordoff
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We use DropBox and used to be able to overwrite old versions. That is no longer possible. I am on a Mac 10.13. Did the "replace" option go away?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sharonatordoff
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The key, I believe, is that you have to work in the linked Dropbox file. You can't download, work on it and replace the file. You have to work in the file from DropBox and it saves as you go. 

When you want to edit the file click on "open with" on right hand side. This keeps the file linked and it is auto saved. 

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Where are you seeing this? 

Whats the steps you are taking to save the file?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

InOutstore
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

we are having the same problem. 

We have a basic Account, with a single folder shared with another user.

Inside these folder there is one single csv file, it's less of 3MB.

Every day we used to drag and drop the new version of the file, but since a couple of week we are unable to overwrite the file online.

We already tried to delete the file, upload a new one and create another link to share, but the next time the problem has recurred.

We already tried to upload the file using the "upload button" without succes.

We use Dropbox through the Chrome browser Version 72.0.3626.96 (64 bit).

Is there anyone else who is having these problems? Someone who can help us to solve?

Thank you in advance.

sharonatordoff
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The key, I believe, is that you have to work in the linked Dropbox file. You can't download, work on it and replace the file. You have to work in the file from DropBox and it saves as you go. 

When you want to edit the file click on "open with" on right hand side. This keeps the file linked and it is auto saved. 

InOutstore
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@sharonatordoff  ha scritto:

Thank you Sharonatordoff, 

the point is not the link. 

We cannot change the file online. Is a big file, with more than 1000 lines. 

Every day we generate a new one, with same name, and extension. Until a couple of weeks ago, every morning we used to generate a new file that simply overighting the online version. 
If there are no changes in the name or in the extensions, or position, there is no necessity to generate a new link.

Things had work perfectly for more than one year.

Now, when we load the new file online, we can see the dialog bar, in the bottom of the page that indicates the upload, and at the end, says that the file has been uploaded, but the date of the last change, remains stationary, and file, does not update.

We also have checked the file online, and it is not the new one.Screen.jpg

The screenshot regarding a file that I have just uploaded, 11/02/2019 h. 14:55.

Thank you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Out of curiosity, have you tried other browsers, an incognito window or clearing your browser's cache lately @InOutstore

PS: I just installed the next build on my Chrome (currently 72.0.3626.97) as I was also having browser issues and things have returned to normal so updating your browse might be worth a shot as well in this case.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

InOutstore
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Walter wrote:

Out of curiosity, have you tried other browsers, an incognito window or clearing your browser's cache lately @InOutstore

PS: I just installed the next build on my Chrome (currently 72.0.3626.97) as I was also having browser issues and things have returned to normal so updating your browse might be worth a shot as well in this case.

Hi Walter,

thank you for your suggestions.

we just tried with I.E. 11 and Mozzilla Firefox 64.0, same result, the file online is not overwritten. This morning I had the same tought, and updated Chrome to 72.0.3626.96 version: this is the last version that we have available, here.

Other attempts without result:

Incognito browser: done

Cleare cache: done

Thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information @InOutstore - may I reach out via email to your Dropbox associated address to have a  further look into this with all of my tools available? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

InOutstore
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter, 

daily update:

yesterday in the morning I have successfully overwrite the file. This morning, the procedure didn't work.

Are you able to see our contact informations? Is it safe post here the email address or there is another way?

Thanks

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries @InOutstore - I just sent you a brief message so we can work on this together; thus creating a ticket for you with ID: 8897232 (you'll need to track it through Zendesk).

Take a look at my email and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?