cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can open files directly on Dropbox - get error message saying "cannot open file"

Can open files directly on Dropbox - get error message saying "cannot open file"

DCh02
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Since installed MacOS Catalina and Dropbox update - can't open any file directly on Dropbox. Have to open file from the original program (like Word, Excel) - go to Open... then navigate to the Dropbox files - only way it opens. Anybody else experiencing this? I can drop and add files into my Dropbox - but now a hassle to open them...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me with the screenshots @DCh02!

Do you get the same error message if you try and open the file directly from the Dropbox folder in your Finder window? You can right click the file and choose "View in Finder" to easily navigate there.

If you do get a similar error, can you try temporarily closing the desktop app and trying to open the file to see if there's any change? You can close the app by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @DCh02, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Are the files you're trying to open on your desktop possibly Smart Synced as "online only" with a grey cloud icon next to the files? Or do they appear in Finder with a green tick :white_check_mark:?

If they're currently "online only", can you try right clicking the file and choosing "Smart Sync - Local", and then try opening the file again?

If this isn't the case, would you mind sending me a screenshot of the error you're getting along with letting me know which sync icon shows next to the file?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DCh02
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

The files appear to have the green tick next to them - I haven't been able to enable smart sync yet (but that's another issue). Attached are a couple of screen shots...Edited by moderatorEdited by moderatorEdited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me with the screenshots @DCh02!

Do you get the same error message if you try and open the file directly from the Dropbox folder in your Finder window? You can right click the file and choose "View in Finder" to easily navigate there.

If you do get a similar error, can you try temporarily closing the desktop app and trying to open the file to see if there's any change? You can close the app by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

DCh02
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Daphne,

Thank you! Feel a bit silly as the most basic solution is always quit and restart! Yes, that did the trick (the right clicking and opening in Finder didn't sort but restarting did).

I had forgotten that you can quit Dropbox - I just always have taken for granted that its just always running on the background. With the recent updates to MacOs and Dropbox, makes sense to quit and restart... Thanks again!

D

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that did the trick @DCh02!

Thanks for letting us know here too, I'm sure this will be a helpful step for anyone else who might face the same issue. 

If there's anything else I can help with or you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here. I'd be happy to help. :grin:

I hope you enjoy your day! 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    DCh02 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?