Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Can't Sync (access denied) of my OWN files after new 2GB (forced) upgrade

Explorer | Level 4

I'm on Win 7 64 Pro, fully up to date and for some reason, many of my folders were turned to "read only" permissions on DropBox.  Unbelievably frustrating... I am admin of my own OS and messages say I need admin permissions.  This could be a Win 7 issue, but why all of a sudden, after this forced 2GB and a 20% increase in fees, I did NOT opt into... :-/

4 Replies

Re: Can't Sync (access denied) of my OWN files after new 2GB (forced) upgrade

Dropboxer
Hey there @johnc808

As a first step, you mention:

@johnc808 wrote:

after this forced 2GB and a 20% increase in fees, I did NOT opt into... :-/

From what I understand, you have a Plus subscription for 2 TB, is that right? If by any chance you wish to downgrade or cancel your subscription, you can follow the steps outlined here if you subscribed directly from the website and here if you purchased it on your mobile device.

Moving on to your main concern though, could you let me know if by any chance you had or have your Dropbox folder installed on an external hard drive? 

Could you also send me a screenshot (without personal info included) of the error message that you’re seeing and what your Dropbox icon that’s next to your computer’s clock shows when you click on it? 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Lusil,

My plan expires in July and there are no options to stay at my current $9.99 plan at all.  This is a forced upgrade I do not want or need.

The DropBox is installed and files stored on a single partition; C:

The error/status is as follows:
Downloading 34 files...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for providing me with the syncing status @johnc808, definitely provides a better understanding of what you’re seeing. 

In general, the message "Access Denied" means the desktop app is unable to access the location to sync your files. 

Could you double-check that you don't have any third party apps open that may be writing to that location?

If the problem persists, you can also try temporarily disabling any security or antivirus software that you may have running, as they may be preventing the desktop app from syncing correctly. 

If the issue goes away while you have the antivirus off this means you most likely need to add Dropbox to your list of trusted programs to allow it to work correctly.

Another possible cause of such a behavior would be local network sharing or folder redirection preferences setup in folders or files within your Dropbox. 

Similar effects can also happen when your Dropbox folder or its system files are located in a mounted network drive or a remote location (like roaming profiles) as this could cause Dropbox to not have constant access or permissions to operate in those locations.

For these reasons, I'd suggest that you ensure that your setup doesn't include any of the above scenarios (you may need to reach out to IT if your computer is in a work environment to check this out). 

In any case, let me know how it goes and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

I opted to selectively un-sync the folder the files were in... I will have to contend with in another day. 

I am still stuck with paying more money for another 1gb I never asked for... there is no "opt out" option.  My plan is scheduled to renew mid-July.  I am considering other options now.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't Sync (access denied) of my OWN files after new 2GB (forced) upgrade
4 Replies
0 Likes