cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Upload to Business Dropbox

Can't Upload to Business Dropbox

DeanaF
New member | Level 2

I am having difficulty uploading files and syncing folders in a work related shared folder. I had a basic account and then tried a free 30 day trial of the business account. Now that a  a co-worker has shared a folder that uses a company account, I keep getting the following message when I try to upload or edit anything.

"Can’t upload to Dropbox
Your team no longer has full use of Dropbox Business features. Add your billing info now and you can pick up right where you left off. See next steps."

We have a business account and dont understand why I cant upload or sync my files.
Do I need to use a different sign on and ask for access to the folder again? Help!
8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @DeanaF  - sorry to hear about this.

Based on your description, it sounds like the team in question is currently in "locked state". A team can end up in locked state if their trial period expires or if they downgrade. Locked state limits Dropbox functionality, you will have view-only access to your content, and all members will also experience the following:

• File syncing on connect computers will stop
  • You will not be able to create or upload any new files and folders
  • Most premium features, such as file requests and invite enforcement, will be disabled
  • Team admins will no longer be able to administer and control the team in general — with the exception of a few features, most admin console functionality will be disabled.

Please note: Files will not be removed and team members will still be able to access them

If you're interested, you can learn more about the locked state in our Help Center:  

As a Team admin you will have two options available at this point:
1. Purchase Dropbox Business which can be done through the decide page at 

2. Disband the team — all team members will be converted to individual accounts: 

Team members can opt to leave the team and the get to keep unshared content, shared folders they own and folders that were shared explicitly with them: 

We generally recommend team admins take action as soon as possible can to preserve the integrity of the original team.

Once you're done with this, you should be good to go Deana!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DeanaF
New member | Level 2

Hey Walter-

Well, I am still not sure what to do. When I ran ot of space in my basic dropbox because of a large work project, I opted to try a 30 day Business account trial. Since that has ended, I can no longer upload or edit and my files no longer sync. I was invited to share a folder by a co-worker who has a paid Business account and was given editing, uploading etc abilities. But I am STILL getting this "locked state" error messages. So how do fix this? Do i need to cancel/close my current Dropbox account and re-open using another email since the original was under my work email? Then have my co-worker re-inviye me to join the Business shared folders?

Thanks!

DeanaF
New member | Level 2

Walter-

Also, I am not the admin and didnt even know i was part of a team. Can I just back of the the large folder that was originally shared with me and maybe that will solve the issue?

Thank you!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info Deana - much appreciated.

As I wanted to help as much as I can, I've found your existing ticket on our system and reached out to you through that. Take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Talk soon!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

trodriguez2011
Explorer | Level 3

I am a business customer and need to upload 5TB of data. It sounds like you're suggesting that I would have to perform the upload in 100 batches. If this is the case, please respond so that I may convey this information to my institution. This would constitute a serious limitation of your platform relative to other cloud-based storage services.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @trodriguez2011 - welcome aboard!

I'm not sure to what exactly you're referring to here; could you please elaborate a tad on this specific part? 

@trodriguez2011 wrote:

It sounds like you're suggesting that I would have to perform the upload in 100 batches.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, could you also clarify how you'd be uploading the mentioned data? Are you going to be using the desktop application, the mobile app, our website directly or maybe an API of yours or an active integration of ours?

I'll be waiting for your response to look further into this! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

trodriguez2011
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

My mistake, I responded to the wrong thread. I see that the web upload limit is 50GB. If I want to upload 5TB of data from an external drive, am I to do so in 100 batches?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Ah, I see now; thanks for clarifying this!

For starters, the best solution for such an amount of data would most likely be our API.

In case you have to do this via the website, you'd need to do it in small batches and again, it's not guaranteed that it will work as uploading files to dropbox.com is limited not only by the size of the files you're trying to upload, but also the number of files and the bandwidth and stability of your internet connection.

Supposing that you're using the desktop application, you can alternatively move a small batch of your files into your Dropbox Folder, then apply selective sync or Smart Sync settings to free up space on your computer's hard drive and move on to the next batch of files. 

Just make sure that the desktop app reports that it's 'Up to date' after copying/moving your files from your external drive and upon applying your selective or Smart Sync settings and you should be good to go. 

On a side note on this, files uploaded through the API must be 350GB or smaller so you might want to consider utilizing one of our current app integrations. 

In any case, please keep me posted on your progress @trodriguez2011

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    trodriguez2011 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?