Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Can't open any shared word documents on Dropbox

LRW New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

I've been having problems with opening files that are shared with me on my work account's dropbox.

Anytime someone has accessed a document in word and then resaved to dropbox I can't seem to open it. 

I click the file to open and it gives me a blank screen. If I try to open with word online it also gives me a blank screen. 

This is hugely frustrating - is anyone else having this problem, are there any fixes? 

I am accessing files from a desktop pc using windows 10 and using dropbox.com on chrome. 

Thanks, 

LRW

3 Replies

Re: Can't open any shared word documents on Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey there @LRW,

Could you try opening the files with Office Online using another web browser? Also, please try using an incognito/private window and clearing the browser's cache to see if there's any difference in the behaviour.

Can you also clarify for me if, when you open the file on your desktop, you have downloaded the file directly from the website or from the desktop app's Dropbox folder on your computer?

Finally, when opening the file with Office Online, do you see any error messages at all anywhere or do you just see a blank doc? Would you mind sharing a screenshot of this (excluding any personal info)?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

LRW New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne, 

I've fixed it, sort of, by opening in Microsoft edge.

When I do so it comes up with a pop up window asking if I have a microsoft 365 account and once I say yes it allows me to access files.

But in Chrome it just shows me a blank screen, the pop up doesn't come up. I guess for now I'll just have to access everything using a different browser. 

Thanks for you help. 

LRW

Dropboxer

Hey @LRW

If the issue seems to be isolated to Chrome, then it might be worth checking if you can access the files in an incognito window of Chrome. If you can, then it suggests that a browser extension is the culprit, and you can try disabling your extensions one at a time until the issue is resolved to isolate which one it is.

Otherwise I can suggest, if you haven't already, to clear the cache of your Chrome browser and even just check that there's no pending updates that might fix the issue.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't open any shared word documents on Dropbox
3 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post