Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Can't share a folder as it's inside another shared folder

Explorer | Level 4

I am trying to share a DropBox folder with three individuals from the same organization outside of my own. I do this routinely without any trouble. This time, DropBox will not let me send the share request, showing the prompt 'one or more of the names or email addresses is invalid'. I have checked all three of the email addresses at least five times and they are all valid. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

8 Replies

Re: Can't share a folder as it's inside another shared folder

Dropboxer
Hey there @AndrewCFA

Initially, please note that although there isn't currently an option to share a subfolder of an already-existing shared folder, you should be able to send users a shared link to the subfolder which gives them view-only access.

However, you mention that when trying to share the subfolder, it’s:

@AndrewCFA wrote:

showing the prompt 'one or more of the names or email addresses is invalid'.

Could it be that either you are on a Business plan that doesn’t allow invitations to be sent to members outside of your team, or the users you’re trying to invite are on a Business team that doesn’t allow to receive invites from outside the team? 

Finally, could you also send me a screenshot (without personal info) of the prompt that you see so as to ensure that I have a complete visual understanding of what you’re seeing?

Thank you in advance! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4
Hi Lusil, Thanks for your reply. I am trying to share edit access. As I noted, I share folders and subfolders with people outside our business network all the time, so it is not an issue of our DropBox plan. What is the best way to share a screenshot with you?

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me, @AndrewCFA

Could you please let me know the following:

Finally, you can attach an image in your next reply using one of the following options:

Attach image.png
Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Screenshot (7).png

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil,

I've attached a screenshot of the problem I am having. It is now happening with other attempts to add users to folders and subfolders. I am using email addresses with which I have shared DB folders in the recent past, but for some reason does not work anymore. Thanks for helping to resole this.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot, @AndrewCFA - please note that I’ve removed some personal information included in it for security and privacy purposes. 

Moving on to your concern though, from what I understand, the users that you are trying to add are not part of your team. For this reason, could you please ensure that your admin has enabled external sharing for your team? You can find more info about this here

If the sharing settings are set accordingly but you’re still having trouble with this, I’d be more than happy to send you an email to the email address associated with your Community profile so that we can further investigate. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil, Thanks for this guidance, very useful. I checked my settings, though, and they all allow full sharing of both files and documents with anyone, and by anyone on our team. So I still need to troubleshoot the source of the problem. Thanks. Screenshot (8).pngScreenshot (9).png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshots, @AndrewCFA

Hmm. thinking face Since you’ve ensured that the external sharing options are enabled - awesome work! - I’d recommend going back to one of the first troubleshooting steps and checking with the users in question that their email addresses that you’re trying to share with:
  • Have an active Dropbox account associated.
  • Are not part of a Business team or, if they are, that the relevant sharing options are enabled for them too. 
In the meantime, I’ve sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile, so if you stumble upon a dead end or you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to give me a nudge there. 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't share a folder as it's inside another shared folder
8 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey