Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Can't share with Edit rights because I'm seeing a message that I don't have the permission. Why?

Helpful | Level 5

I am working on my own personal drop box. I have a folder that is one level down from the main folders level.  It says I don't have permission to manage membership of the folder.  How come? It's my Drop box.  

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Can't share with Edit rights because I'm seeing a message that I don't have the permission. Why?

Dropboxer
Hey @rosemarygrundy, it looks like this folder is shared; do you see the sharing icon on it by any chance 👥? If so, are you the shared folder Owner Rosemary? I’m wondering if you’re accidentally looking at the copy of the shared folder that’s owned by someone else. Could this be happening?

If it’s not too much trouble for you, I’d appreciate two side-by-side screenshots (omitting personal info) of the sharing rights & the error message you’re seeing, as it would point us towards the best next steps; please include them in your next message if possible. You should be able to see this info following the steps relayed here: 

More information
  1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files.
  3. Navigate to folder that's giving you the error message.
  4. Hover over the folder and click Share.
  5. Next to the name of that member, click the dropdown and you should be able to see a Can edit or Can view message.
Thanks for taking the time to work on that with me; I'll be awaiting your next update, so as to further advise!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Can't share with Edit rights because I'm seeing a message that I don't have the permission. Why?

Helpful | Level 5
Hi Jane
I tried replying before but messed it up. I found a work around. I just took the folder out of it’s parent folder (which didn’t have any restrictions on it so that wasn’t really the problem)

Dropboxer
Happy to hear that you got this sorted on your end @rosemarygrundy; that’s some great news & thanks for sharing the steps that did the trick for you! 

Please feel free to ping us back in case you have any further observations or inquiries in the future & it’ll be a pleasure to work with you again. Take care until then & enjoy the rest of your day! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't share with Edit rights because I'm seeing a message that I don't have the permission. Why?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post