Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Can't switch folders from "online only" to local?

New member | Level 2

I have a very large dropbox account, but when I originally set up the app, I only wanted a few folders and subfolders to sync with my computer. Now that I want to sync a few more subfolders, I can only ever set them to be online only, even after changing my preferences to say that new content should default to local. 

How do I get my folders to start downloading to my computer?

5 Replies

Re: Can't switch folders from "online only" to local?

Dropboxer

Welcome to the Dropbox Community @davis_arielle!

From what you mentioned there, it sounds like you've changed the default for new files to sync to your computer as local through the desktop app preferences, right?

If so, this setting only applies to new files that will sync to your desktop app. For the files/folders that are already synced to your desktop Dropbox folder, you can right click on the file/folder and from the menu choose "Smart sync - Local".

Can you let me know if you've tried the above and if you have, and they still appear as "online only", can you let me know the sync status of your desktop app and version you have installed?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

That's correct, and that's what I tried to do. However, when I right click on the folders in my desktop Dropbox folder, I don't see any option to change smart sync. So everything still says online only. 

The app says everything is synced, and my version number is v81.4.195.

Dropboxer

Thanks for that info @davis_arielle!

Are you possibly using a third-party file browser or the native file browser for your OS (File Explorer/Finder)?

Also, can you clarify for me which OS and version your computer is running?

Finally, please just let me know which Dropbox plan you currently have for your account, you can check this from your Plan tab here if you're not sure.

Keep me posted - cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I was using the file browser that pops up after clicking the folder window in the Dropbox app. Running OS High Sierra 10.13.6. On the Dropbox Business Advanced plan.

For some reason, after I went to check, the sync now button finally appeared, so I thought I was good to go. Unfortunately, after the sync started, I ran into another error where I've been sitting at "1 sec left" for 20 minutes. Is there any way around that?

Dropboxer

Hey @davis_arielle, thanks for getting back to me!

If you haven't already, can you force quit the Dropbox app on your computer and start it up again to see if that does the trick? To do so, please open up your Activity Monitor from your Mac Utilities folder and force quit any instances of the Dropbox application.

Also, can you just confirm for me as I was unsure from your previous reply, are you now able to see the "Smart sync" option in your context menu?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't switch folders from "online only" to local?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post