cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't sync outlook files

Can't sync outlook files

erikmoore
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

After moving the active MS outlook .PST file to my Dropbox (40.4.46) sync folder, the icon in the lower right status bar (Win 8.1) has a constant message "Can't index Outlook file" and no longer shows the message "Up to date." Any help?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Its *strongly* recommended you do not sync database files (which include email ones)...

Partially for this reason - I assume that you have Outlook open? If so Dropbox cannot sync it. Outlook puts a lock on the PST files so that only it can access them, however Dropbox also needs the same.

You are also looking at a very high risk of data corruption if you open the PST on another device before its fully sync'd up to date on all connected devices.

Instead use the correct email protocol and you wont need to sync files between machines. Use an IMAP or exchange email server and all will sync magically across all email connected devices without the need for Dropbox.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Its *strongly* recommended you do not sync database files (which include email ones)...

Partially for this reason - I assume that you have Outlook open? If so Dropbox cannot sync it. Outlook puts a lock on the PST files so that only it can access them, however Dropbox also needs the same.

You are also looking at a very high risk of data corruption if you open the PST on another device before its fully sync'd up to date on all connected devices.

Instead use the correct email protocol and you wont need to sync files between machines. Use an IMAP or exchange email server and all will sync magically across all email connected devices without the need for Dropbox.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

erikmoore
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you. I understand. I was trying to sync other Outlook components such as tasks and calendar.

That said, is there a way to signal Dropbox not to try to sync the PST file without removing the file from the Dropbox folder?
Thank you.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
There isnt erikmoore I'm afraid.

erikmoore
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Do you have an answer to my question or this is a joke?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No..... ?

That was the answer to your question.

There is no way to have the file within the Dropbox folder and not have it sync.

What you are trying to achieve is very likely to result in data loss. Hence my initial post saying 'dont do it'.

erikmoore
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you. (Punctuations usually help to minimize confusion).

BME360
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
On the computer where I use outlook I only sync once every day, usually at midnight when I am typically done w work and outlook anyway. I have set up a command in Task Scheduler so Dropbox will turn on, sync each night and then turn itself off. You just need to make sure OL is shut down before the task runs each time. I have been doing this for a couple of years now w no problems. I then sync on other computers in remote locations before I open outlook and all my saved emails are available.

troy56
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You need to straight forward go at https://windowserrors.org/outlook-data-file-cannot-be-accessed/ where you will easily find out the solution of your problem. 

Why did i recommend that site?

Because i got the solution using the 1st method of that post. So, I thought to share that blog post here with you which will helpful everyone having similar kind of error.

anammajeed9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Troy56 thanks for your some good suggestion. Keep growing.

Need more support?