Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Highlighted

Can't transfer empty file

Explorer | Level 4

I can't use the new Dropbox transfer for a list of files when one of them is empty. It seems to process everything up till the empty file, then fail. I fixed it by adding a little text to the file (I was using the file name as a note to the next person to look at it), but I would expect it to work. I'm not sure if it's related, but I recall in my time having an issue with a zipping algorithm not handling empty files, but it wasn't too hard to fix. Hopefully this helps.

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Can't transfer empty file

Dropboxer

Hello @Kohath - how are you today?

Can you let me know if you've tried this after clearing your browser's cache, on an incognito window and/or on another browser?

Do you get the same results? If you do, could you forward me a screenshot of the error you get so I can investigate further?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

I tried in the browser and it worked fine. I was using the Windows 10 desktop client (right click > Transfer).

Dropbox Transfer Couldn't add some files.pngError displayed when transfer fails

Dropboxer

I'm glad you managed to resolve your concern by using our website after all @Kohath!

As per the error you get when trying to do this via the desktop app, could you re-install the app, reboot your computer and let me know if it persists?

If it does, would it be OK to reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to have a further look into this?

Thanks!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Wh༜ps, wrong button. I reinstalled Dropbox and restarted, but the problem persists. It's not a show stopper for me, but you are welcome to email me to look further into it.

Dropboxer

Thanks for your cooperation @Kohath; I just sent you a ticket so we can dig a tad deeper into this matter. 

Whenever you find some spare time, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Happy Monday!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't transfer empty file
5 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post