Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Can't view files that my friend put in a share folder

New member | Level 2

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me understand how excatly the shared folder works. I have a shared folder which has given a friend access for both view and edit. I'm on the 'Personal Plus' account while he's on the basic 'free' version. He had put his files in that folder for me to view and edit as well before. Until recently I'm no longer able to see any files he put into that folder. Since he has a lower storage space then mine does that affect the size of file he can put into the folder? The shared folder was setup under my account so should it only occupied my storage space?

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Can't view files that my friend put in a share folder

Dropboxer

Hi @Noobiekuan

Thanks for posting your first question in our Community! grinning face with smiling eyes Welcome. 

Since the folder was shared succesfully and you were seeing files updating up to recently, we have no sharing issue here. 

However, if the receiver has a free Dropbox (2 GB) they might not have enough space to add more files to this folder at some point. Their account fits only 2 GB and if they add more than that, the new files would not sync. unamused face You can read about this here. 

tools Workaround to overecome this sharing difficulty. 

1. Have them remove their access from the folder to free up their storage space. Steps.
  2. Share a link to the folder with them. The shared link doesn't save the folder in their account and so it doesn't take up space. Steps.
  3. Send them a file request. The best way to receive files without even providing access to the folder. Steps

Let me know if this was helpful! 

P.S. You can give them this Help center article to help them get some free Dropbox space. winking face

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Awesome, thanks for the clear explaination.

Dropboxer

Anytime @Noobiekuan. smiling face with halo

Have a lovely weekend.

Cheers! Beers

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't view files that my friend put in a share folder
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post