cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't view or download any file using ANY web browser

Can't view or download any file using ANY web browser

turtleh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Wow always use the desktop client or android. But on web browser Firefox, Chrome or Edge, all in private mode I cannot preview OR download any of my files.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

turtleh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've figured it out. I had to change my DNS away from 8.8.8.8 for some reason Google's DNS is not loading dropbox.com intermittently and blocking the preview or downloading of files.

8.8.4.4, 1.1.1.1 works, also on my ASUS router I changed it so that the DHCP assigns the DNS directly and not the IP address of the router itself as it was also causing the problem. Thanks.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @turtleh  - sorry to hear that!

Could you please clear your browsers' cache and try again? If that doesn't work, you can also try an incognito window or another browser with no extensions/plugins running. 

If you could check for any pending updates on your browsers as well that'd be awesome. 

Keep me posted on your progress please!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

turtleh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Walter, I have tried on all Firefox, Chrome and Edge private, incognito and I private modes on my main win10 desktop and also on one with a new installation that has never logged into Dropbox.com before

turtleh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've figured it out. I had to change my DNS away from 8.8.8.8 for some reason Google's DNS is not loading dropbox.com intermittently and blocking the preview or downloading of files.

8.8.4.4, 1.1.1.1 works, also on my ASUS router I changed it so that the DHCP assigns the DNS directly and not the IP address of the router itself as it was also causing the problem. Thanks.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for letting me know about this @turtleh  - glad to hear you managed to resolve your concern in the end. 

Since you've discovered that this is a problem with your connection, I'd suggest letting your ISP now about this too in case they need to amend something on their end. 

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

joe durante
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Please tell me how you resolved the above matter as i am not fluent in the computer savv that is required. My files are not visible from desktop either, only from android app.  Thanks in advance.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @joe durante; thanks for joining our discussion.

I'll be happy to help with this; could you first clarify if you're using our desktop app or a web browser to access your Dropbox account on the affected computer first so I can advise further?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    joe durante Explorer | Level 3
    turtleh Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?