cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Backing up emails

Can you help me backup my emails?

RobLear
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Brand new to Dropbox. There is no obvious way to save and sync emails. Folders are easy as they show up as a 'button' within the screen but there is no 'email' option. Dropbox doesn't appear on my 'email screen'

I'm looking to back up/sync emails so if the computer ever fails I have a back up. (We lost them all when we swapped our PC a few years ago despite PC World assuring all would be fine).

How to save/back up emails please.

Thanks

ROB

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @RobLear, Dropbox does not provide a direct way to backup emails. You may find third party apps/services which can do that like IFTTT or Zapier. In case you are using a mail client like Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderfird, it is possible to export all your mailbox data (email, calendar, contacts) manually and save in your Dropbox folder. 

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Its also worth pointing out that it is really, really, difficult and infact not recommended to back them up if you are using Outlook etc. via Dropbox as you can corrupt the files.

I strongly suggest looking for and using a proper backup solution for this rather than trying to use Dropbox which is actually a syncing tool.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi @RobLear, Once you install the Dropbox Desktop app, it creates a folder named Dropbox in your computer, anything you put inside this folder is automatically synced to Dropbox cloud (and other connected devices). By default, the Documents folder is outside the Dropbox folder, and not synced by Dropbox. However, you can manually move the location of your Documents folder inside the Dropbox folder, and enable automatic syncing. 

I assume, you are using Windows operating system. First, create a folder inside your Dropbox folder, say Documents_Personal (if you want to keep it separate from your work). In oder to move the Documents location, browse the folder in Windows Explorer. It should be in C:\\Users\UserName\. Right click and choose Properties

2018-07-17 at 8.47 PM.png

Next go to Location tab, and click Move

2018-07-17 at 8.48 PM.png

In the next step, select the newly created Documents_Personal inside your Dropbox folder. If you want to keep your Work and Personal Documents folder same, you can choose the Work Documents folder (which, you said, is already syncing). By doing so, you should be able to move your Documens folder inside Dropbox folder, and enable automatic syncing. 

4 Replies 4

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @RobLear, Dropbox does not provide a direct way to backup emails. You may find third party apps/services which can do that like IFTTT or Zapier. In case you are using a mail client like Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderfird, it is possible to export all your mailbox data (email, calendar, contacts) manually and save in your Dropbox folder. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Its also worth pointing out that it is really, really, difficult and infact not recommended to back them up if you are using Outlook etc. via Dropbox as you can corrupt the files.

I strongly suggest looking for and using a proper backup solution for this rather than trying to use Dropbox which is actually a syncing tool.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

RobLear
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Many thanks for reply apologies for not getting back sooner. I understand that this is not the way to back up emails. My only problem currently is that it is not automatically backing up my 'Documents' folder which the one at work does as soon as you add/delete a file/folder. (separate PC/dropbox). I don't want to have to remember to drag file/folders into Dropbox to update...

@Elixir wrote:

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi @RobLear, Once you install the Dropbox Desktop app, it creates a folder named Dropbox in your computer, anything you put inside this folder is automatically synced to Dropbox cloud (and other connected devices). By default, the Documents folder is outside the Dropbox folder, and not synced by Dropbox. However, you can manually move the location of your Documents folder inside the Dropbox folder, and enable automatic syncing. 

I assume, you are using Windows operating system. First, create a folder inside your Dropbox folder, say Documents_Personal (if you want to keep it separate from your work). In oder to move the Documents location, browse the folder in Windows Explorer. It should be in C:\\Users\UserName\. Right click and choose Properties

2018-07-17 at 8.47 PM.png

Next go to Location tab, and click Move

2018-07-17 at 8.48 PM.png

In the next step, select the newly created Documents_Personal inside your Dropbox folder. If you want to keep your Work and Personal Documents folder same, you can choose the Work Documents folder (which, you said, is already syncing). By doing so, you should be able to move your Documens folder inside Dropbox folder, and enable automatic syncing. 

Need more support?