Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Can you tell me how to share a file or a folder?

Explorer | Level 4

How do I share 1 folder?

5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: How to share a file

Dropboxer

Hey there @simplifying - how are you today?

To share a file or folder with the Dropbox website:

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files in the left column.
  3. Hover over the file or folder you’d like to share.
  4. Click Share
  5. Type the Email, name, or group of the person (or people) you’d like to share with.
  6. Click Share. They’ll receive an email with a link to the file or folder. 

More information on this: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/share-with-others

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

When I hover over the file or folder I would like to share I do not get a Share option.  I get nothing.  When I click the Share button I can only create a link.  If try and share by clicking the 3 dots, I can only give View permission to the person I am shareing the file with.  How can i share and give edit permissions.

Super User II

@jimhaynes37 wrote:

How can i share and give edit permissions.

Edit access is only available through a shared folder. If you're trying to share a file directly, you'll only be able to create a link or provide view-only access.

Create a folder and move your file(s) into it, then share the folder with the intended recipient. You'll be able to provide edit access to the folder as long as it's not located inside of another shared folder.

Helpful | Level 5

I am trying to move this folder to a shared folder but when I try and move it the Shared folder is not listed.  I am given a choise of only 2 folders.

The file I am trying move is in a subfolder of a folder titled Apps.  I am the only member in the folder containing the file I am trying to share.

Super User II

@jimhaynes37 wrote:

The file I am trying move is in a subfolder of a folder titled Apps.  I am the only member in the folder containing the file I am trying to share.

The Apps folder is a special folder intended for linked applications. When you link a third-party applciation to your account, it will create its own subfolder within Apps. Folders within Apps cannot be shared.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can you tell me how to share a file or a folder?
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution