Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Cannot de-select files for syncing in parent dropbox folder?!

New member | Level 2

Selective sync lets you select which folders within your main Dropbox folder you want to sync, but what about the files that are in the parent/root Dropbox folder?! The only folders that show up as options for selecting or de-selecting are the folders WITHIN that parent folder, not the parent folder, itself. I have files in that parent folder that are not in a separate folder, thus I can't de-select them. That's brilliant work, team.

2 Replies

Re: Cannot de-select files for syncing in parent dropbox folder?!

Super User II

@nplagman wrote:

... but what about the files that are in the parent/root Dropbox folder?!

Since Selective Sync is meant for folders, not files, you can't use it to remove individual files from a folder. Instead, you need to place those files into a folder and then unselect that folder in Selective Sync.

Re: Cannot de-select files for syncing in parent dropbox folder?!

New member | Level 2
So the reason for the design failure is "use the obvious inconvenient workaround"? This is exactly why every application ever made falls short. Did it ever occur to you - and I know it didn't occur to the dropbox development team - that sometimes one might want to quickly save something to their dropbox folder rather than open the dropbox folder, search for your workaround folder, select it, then save? No. It did not. You don't mind the workaround therefore every dropbox user on the planet doesn't mind. Since everyone thinks like you and does everything the same way you do it.

All I wanted to do was sync a single folder on my work computer to share with my personal computer, but I can't because when I do, every file from my dropbox parent folder syncs to my work computer, and there's nothing I can do about it except move all of those files into a workaround folder, change any file paths in programs that might have used those files, and add extra steps any time I want to access them or save something to that folder for the rest of my life.

OR - the developers could've not been obtuse and included a way to deselect files in the root folder.
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Cannot de-select files for syncing in parent dropbox folder?!
2 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post