Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

Cannot download a file

New member | Level 2

I have tried to download this 32 GB file multiple times, on different computers, using different internet connections and even when directly attatched to motems and it is not working. I have more than enough space on my computer, I have cleared my caches and I am a Dropbox subscriber. I do not undertsand why this is not working as this is what your service is made to do...
I need this file to do my job. Please let me know if you have an solutions.

3 Replies

Re: Cannot download a file

Dropboxer
Hi there, @piagraham

Initially, please bear in mind that you can download the contents of an entire Dropbox folder from the website, as long as both of the following are true:
  • The folder is less than 20 GB in total size
  • The folder has fewer than 10,000 total files

Since you mention that:

@piagraham wrote:

I have tried to download this 32 GB file multiple times

I’d recommend downloading the folder in question in smaller batches, or using the desktop app to automatically download the entire folder to your computer. 

Please note that, the Dropbox folder that becomes available in your computer after installing the desktop app is just like any other folder on your hard drive, but with syncing capabilities, which gives you access to your Dropbox account.

I hope this helped! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil,

This file isnt in a folder. Maybe these are just terms that I dont completely understand? Is it that the file itself is just too big to dowload? Bc it is just one file that is 32 GB. I guess I just dont understand how the person who uploaded the file could have uploaded a file that is too large to successfully share. Is it up to the person that uploaded it to make the file smaller? Is there anything that I can do from my end to get this file?

Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift reply, @piagraham

In general, when it comes to adding files and folders through the website, each file or folder that’s uploaded must be 50 GB or smaller. For larger files or folders, you can use the desktop or mobile apps, which don’t have a file size limit.

Having said that, if you’d like to have a file that’s too large to download (as per the requirements mentioned) on your computer, you can use the desktop app. When you install it, you will have a Dropbox folder on your hard drive, which will include the files in your account, as well as the file in question. You can find more info about the Dropbox folder here

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Cannot download a file
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post