Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Change Date Modified

Explorer | Level 3

MANY (>100 but not all) of my Dropbox folders and sub-folders on desktop have the same date/time stamp in the Date Modified column but I did not open or modify those folders.  

Could this be the result of an external program/user accessing these folders?  I was subject to a remote access hack prior to those date/time stamps.  And if so, how can I determine if it was the hack?

Tags (1)
6 Replies

Re: Change Date Modified

Dropboxer

Hey there @LawrenceG, thanks for reaching out to us here!

It's possible that this could have occurred from a third-party app, however we can't say for sure without having a look into this.

Could you check the version history for a few of your files and see what event you find under that date?

You should also be able to see if that change was made from the web or from a specific device.

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Daphne:

I followed the steps on the link you sent but I did not receive option Version History.

Clarifying: I see many FOLDERS with the same date/time stamp under Date Modified.  And, I know for certain that a 3rd party gained access to my personal MacBook via Kaseya.  Therefore, I suspect that my Dropbox program "thinks" it's ME accessing the folders.

If not clear, maybe e can chat.

Thank you.

Explorer | Level 3

Here is an section from my Dropbox Folder of what I'm trying to explain... 

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 1.29.25 PM.pngEdited by moderator

...I did not access any of these folders on 10/24/19 @ 5:39pm.

I have >100 folders like this.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @LawrenceG!

If someone accessed the files from your account, then this would indeed explain the changes in the modification dates.

To check that the "modifications" were made from the device that was accessed, you'd need to find this info through the version history.

You can access this from your files online. You'll need to check one the files within the folder showing the same modification date to see the device info.

If you don't see the option, can you please send me a screenshot of the options you do see online?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Daphne:

Thanks for follow-up.

As you can see from the web version of my Dropbox, there is no record of access to the folder named "Family Offices" nor the file contained therein.

Top Level:

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 2.44.09 PM.png

Next Level (only one file contained in folder Family Offices):

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 2.44.21 PM.pngEdited by moderator

However, you can see the date/time stamp on the desktop version of Dropbox when I use Apple Finder.  See folder Family Offices below w date/time stamp 10/24/19 5:39pm.

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 1.29.25 PM (1).pngEdited by moderator

My concern is that the hacker copied my hard drive, accessed my Dropbox folders as me,
but doesn't leave timestamp on the web version.

Also, it's possible that the hacker accessed my folders but not (yet) my files as a way to "hold this over my head."

I don't really know...just speculating.

Free to discuss by phone.

Thanks, again. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for those screenshots @LawrenceG!

While I would love to be able to call you, currently we can only offer inbound phone support for Business users.

You can always check what support is available to you according to your plan from here.

It may be that the date was changed on your desktop when the folder was opened due to creating a missing .DS_Store file within the folder. 

Unfortunately, through the version history shown in Dropbox, you wouldn't be able to find any additional data other than the time accessed and from which device, which you already are aware of.

As Dropbox doesn't show the date modified for folders, this might be why the times seem different.

I hope this help, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Change Date Modified
6 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey