cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

software updates

Chrome reporting dropbox as an incompatible application

alarson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Receiving this error from chrome whenever i open chrome:

chromedropbox.PNG

47 Replies 47

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, I merged your thread with this post so you can see more information about this error message from Chrome.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Atropa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

"I merged your thread with this post" .... thank you but which post?! no links to any post .... 

😞

AngeloB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Try the other 3 pages in this topic 😉

Atropa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

oh god! O_o

Ty.
Sorry @jay.
Thank you all.

I'll wait for Chrome 69 or Chrome 72 or .... I don't know which version .... or I will uninstall Dropbox from this PC.

Grunt.

gfranco
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Just joined the club today. Been experiencing chrome crashes for the last three days and just today I started to look into it. Sure enough. Surprised that so few people are reporting this problem. Chances are this is a pretty common selection of tools... mmh. If you had to go through the hassle of having to switch one out, which would it be? Chrome or Dropbox?

office11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I recently began getting an error message from Chrome indicating that dropbox is incompantible and wanting me to update the Dropbox program. When I attempt to update from the same error message screen- the only option is to uninstall.  I have looked for an update - but dropbox is supposedly "automatically updating".  I have tried the tips to identify what version of dropbox is running - but none have worked so I don't even know what version is currently operating and therefore whether it is up to date. I don't want to uninstall and reinstall for fear of losing files shared with others.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @office11 - sorry to hear this.

As we've been getting such reports for a while now, I moved your post here to keep things neat. 

Take a look at what other users posted about this Chrome specific error and if there's anything further I can do from my end to help, please let me know.

In the meantime, have a lovely week ahead!

PS: You can always use another browser other than Chrome till there's a fix rolled out. I know it's not optimal yet I sure hope it helps to some extent.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

office11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Unfortunately that is not an option for me as this is my work computer and all our email is setup through google chrome - so it isn't an option not to be using Chrome on a daily basis.  Therefore the incompatability is a huge problem as it is making Chrome unstable.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry about this @office11 - have you updated your Chrome recently ?

I am actually updating mine to v.69 which should resolve this issue as my colleague Alexandra4 mentioned in the a previous reply (you'll find her post in the second page of this very thread). 

I am putting it here for your convenience. 

Spoiler
To provide some background, this doesn't affect the performance of your Dropbox desktop application. However, we're aware that this Google Chrome notification causes confusion and we have confirmed that this will be resolved in a future version (v69) of Chrome.

In the meantime, you can open up another tab in Chrome and close the tab with the notification. Alternatively, you can install the beta version of Chrome from https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel.

I know it's not optimal yet I sure hope this helps to some extent. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

office11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

my computer is set to do all updates automatically-so presumably it is already the most current version of Chrome.  I have been closing the error message and starting new tabs, but very soon the whole thing becomes unstable and closes. Very frustrating. I don't think that I want to be part of any beta testing group - I am not particularly tech-savy and am having enough problems with this as it is - I don't need extra problems from becoming a guinea pig for a software rollout.

Need more support?