cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning up duplicates of multiple files

Cleaning up duplicates of multiple files

mes640
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My company is working with duplicates of multiple recipes, going back 5 years. The recipes are organized by menus, so recipes are copied to have all recipes available per menu item. So we are talking about thousands and thousands of recipes here.  I am wondering how to better organize these files - is there a feature to consolidate multiples? Is there a way to find the original file all the copies are based off of? Basically I would like to understand if I need to use Dropbox more efficiently, or if this is a problem only solved by people agreeing on a better organization. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@mes640 wrote:

Is there a way to have a file exist in multiple folders without being duplicated a million times?

No, there isn't. Think of your Dropbox as just a regular folder on your computer. Any organization is up to the users using that folder.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @mes640, thanks for reaching out to us here!

At the moment, we don't have a feature within Dropbox that would locate duplicate files within your account. You would need to use a third party app to do this I'm afraid.

While I can't make any recommendations, you should be able to find some apps with a quick web search, or others here might have some suggestions for you.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with this, but don't hesitate to get back to me here with any other questions.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mes640
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So the problem is not LOCATING the duplicate files, but having too many duplicates. Is there a way to have a file exist in multiple folders without being duplicated a million times? Below is a perfect example.Capture.PNG

mes640
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Like attaching pdfs to one another instead of copying over and over again?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@mes640 wrote:

Is there a way to have a file exist in multiple folders without being duplicated a million times?

No, there isn't. Think of your Dropbox as just a regular folder on your computer. Any organization is up to the users using that folder.

mes640
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, thank you. I just wanted to make sure that we were not missing a feature on Dropbox that could potentially help our organization. Appreciate your help!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mes640 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?