Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Conflicted copies while using pages in iOS

Level 2

I am experiencing an issue with Dropbox on iOS (iPad) when working in Pages. I am experiencing a situation in which I get multiple conflicted copies of the document I am working on.

While working on the file, I get a message indicting that it is unavailable because it was "deleted in another location", with the option to "try again" on the file browser. When I click this it reloads the directory, with multiple conflicted copies now in the folder.

I have the latest version of Dropbox which is integrated with the Files app and also the latest Pages app and iOS version.

Thank you for your help.

3 Replies

Re: Conflicted copies while using pages in iOS

Dropboxer

Hey there @LM2010 - sorry to hear that!

Can you please go through the exact steps you take that result in this behavior so I can investigate further? Feel free to include a screenshot of the exact error message you get in your next reply so we can have a visual too.

In the meantime, note that conflicted files are created as a safeguard to protect your files should changes occur to the same file at the same time.

When changes are made to the same file at the same time, the first computer to sync the change "wins." The other computer's changes are preserved and saved as a "conflicted copy." The conflicted copy is saved in the same directory as the original file and the file name is appended the name of the computer that made the change and the date the conflict occurred.

Conflicted copies can also occur when a file is left open on another computer, especially when using applications with an auto-save feature (Pages could fall into this category). Closing the file from within the application on either computer should prevent further conflicts.

If you are sharing the data between computers you must NOT run the application on more than one devices at a time. You will generate file conflicts and other problems.

Thus, the pattern needs to be:

1. Let files sync
  2. Start application
  3. Save files
  4. Quit application
  5. Repeat on different computers.

One workaround that can be used to prevent conflicted copies is to move the file out of the Dropbox folder while editing it. Doing this causes the file to appear as deleted and doesn't allow other users to edit the file. Once you're done editing, you can move the file back into its original location in the Dropbox folder. It will reappear with your edits for all users who have access to that file.

The other option is to move it to a second folder designated for "In Use" files. Other members of the shared folder can still access it if they need to, but will know not to make changes.

I hope this information helps to some extent and please keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2
Hello Walter, thank you for your reply! Unfortunately I do not have a screenshot but the error message states exactly what I wrote in my question.
I do not use several terminals to work on the same file at the same time, also, it is not shared. Thus no one or no open application accesses the file while I work on it.
The workaround you mention, to take the file out of Dropbox while working on it, is exactly what I did and it works.
I would say that it is a less than perfect solution but at least it stops the endless conflicted copies.
To me, it seems like there is an issue between the iOS file-management and Dropbox, leading to a synchronisation that erroneously creates conflicted files.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @LM2010 !

I'm glad this work-around did the trick for you and if you ever feel like troubleshooting this with our team, please go ahead and log a ticket providing your case's specifics (such as your device's OS, apps' versions, filenames etc.) through this page: 

https://www.dropbox.com/support

If you'd like me to look into it, provide me with the 7 digit ID you get when you submit a ticket through our support portal and we'll take it from there! 

Have a lovely day and weekend!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Conflicted copies while using pages in iOS
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post