cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Continually Repeating Selective Sync Conflict

New member | Level 1

Hello there,
I have been having problems with a repetitive Sync conflict with my Dropbox since January this year.

I had to move to a new PC and clearly I did something wrong, as in spite of me clearing and deleting the Sync conflict folders on both sides (my computer and Dropbox central) Dropbox keeps putting them back. Not only is this a real pain, but I am really worried that I am going to lose files and photos etc, but it also increases the amount of space I use within the Dropbox due to duplication of folders.

Can someone help me please sort this out as it is driving me completely batty!!

Thanks in advance

8 Replies

Re: Continually Repeating Selective Sync Conflict

Dropboxer

Hi Sue L.,

Sorry to hear about this! Are you still experiencing this issue?

Please let us know. Thanks!

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

This is happening to me: it creates duplicate copies of directories that were selectively unsynced.

Dropboxer

Hi Rick M.,

Can you describe step-by-step what actions result in a duplicate so that we can investigate?

The cause was to have at least one read-only file in a sub-directory! Consequently the OS failed DB from the delete operation.
DB could raise a warning when that transpires.

New member | Level 1

Hello there, sorry but I don't understand the 'read only' file in a subdirectory causing the issue, as I have usually put my shared file photos as read only, to prevent accidental deletions, and I only developed this issue with the new reinstall of the computer. I am still having this problem, still driving me nuts..

Sue, Don't know exactly your issue, but Dropbox does not "sync" the read-only information about your files. Also, Dropbox desktop program uses the OS to delete files so the OS recognizes the local R-O and refuses thus returning an error message to dropbox.exe. The OS "copies" the R-O info into the conflicted files - and so on it goes.

New member | Level 1

Hello Rick, thanks for replying, I'll go with your more technical understanding, my knowledge at this level is not good slightly smiling face I have set the properties of all the files, including subdirectories to normal, hopefully removing any 'Read Only' and let us hope that tis cures the issue..will let you know! Thanks again

All Better now?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Continually Repeating Selective Sync Conflict
8 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post