Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Copied files from old computer but no Dropbox files.

New member | Level 2

Copied files from old computer to new but now no Dropbox files. Still exist on wife's computer and on my old computer. What gives?

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Copied files from old computer but no Dropbox files.

Dropboxer

Hey there @Bruce10 - how are you today?

At first, could you clarify how exactly are you copying these files and what's your desktop app reporting at the moment on the affected computer (if you're using it to begin with that is)? 

Do you see any of those files on our website at dropbox.com

For more information on moving files from one computer to another, please have a look at the following Help Center article: 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/move-to-new-computer

Let me know how it goes Bruce!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I copied all the files using Migration Assistant.

When I log into dropbox.com there is only the file "Bruce" with no files.

I did locate on the finder a folder calleld Dropbox (old) that seems to hold the files I need. I shall try dragging them into the empty folder.

New member | Level 2

Only dragging files works. I'm unable to successfully drag folders, which is a real pain. Only able to create a brand new folder in dropbox. Open it. Go to Dropbox (Old). Open folder. Drag files. Any subfolders don't copy.

New member | Level 2

On my iPhone and my wife's MacBook when I open Dropbox it shows the files and folders. On mine it shows a folder called "Bruce" which is not a folder that appears anywhere else. "Bruce" is empty with no files. It's as if I got "Bruce" instead of my Dropbox account.

Any help?
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 2.45.39 PM.png 

Dropboxer

As I'm not seeing any syncing icons your files (this looks like an old Dropbox Folder - perhaps from a previous installation), I'll have to ask at this point Bruce: are you running the destkop app at all? 

If so, could you forward me its exact status as shown on the affected computer? To do this, please take a look at the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu. If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the exact message being displayed reads?

Have you by any chance tried to re-install our app to see if this helps correct the issue at hand? 

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Copied files from old computer but no Dropbox files.
5 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post