cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Copying Files from Dropbox to portable memory stick or hard drive?

Copying Files from Dropbox to portable memory stick or hard drive?

Fraser Y.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Can anyone help? I'm having trouble moving my files, I have Dropbox on my phone, tablet, home computer, work computer and work apartment but recently I've noticed If i try to copy a film for example, from my work computer to a colleagues hard drive or music to my usb flash for the car it says "this folder/ file has properties that cannot be copied to new location"

Whats the problem here, am I missing something simple?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
If they are downloaded to your computer in the Dropbox folder then just move them like you would any other file/folder as thats exactly what they are.

If they are online you'll need to go to www.dropbox.com/home first and select the ones you want to download and then download them to the flash drive. If you select multiple files they'll download as a zip so you may need to unzip them.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

try copying to the desktop first then transfer from Desktop to flash drive. It seems to be a permission issue

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Fraser Y.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Chris but I tried that. Still no luck.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

hmmnm, have you tried rebooting PC and do the transfer first thing? only one other thing that might work is to fix permissions. See
https://help.dropbox.com/sync/files-not-syncing

pay attention to the section Advanced Users

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Judy S.15
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a folder open with several .mov files (video clips) I'd like to copy to a flash drive.  Am I able to do this? If so, how?

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Judy S

Since Dropbox Folder is just like any folder on your machine, you can move those files to flash drive just like you normally do.  Copy and paste

Janet M.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having the same problem that had in 2014 but this just started for me within the last couple of weeks.  It is incredibly frustrating as Dropbox is where I store all my music.  If I can't get to use as I want, it why use Dropbox?

I am not super savvy but I am not tech stupid either and those "advanced user" instructions are not something I was successful with.  Anyone have a simpler solution?

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Janet M

So what you are saying you are having permissions problems copying files to a flash drive or USB stick, correct?  at least thats what the poster issue is.  If so, have you tried copying the folders to your desktop then move them to Flash drive?

Judy S.14
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Janet M,

I'm sure you've found a solution already, but I came here for the same reasons - the message about "this folder/ file has properties that cannot be copied to new location".  I just went ahead and said Yes. Everything copied over just fine. So, I'm not understanding what the message is about, but it doesn't seem to affect the function of copying something to a usb drive/stick. Go ahead and do it.

Marie K.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

How do I transfer files from Dropbox ti a flash drive

Need more support?