Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Copying robocopy back up folder causes share to be lost.

Helpful | Level 5

Hello, I've been using Dropbox for many years and one of the things I do with it is sync my backups across 5 machines with 4 different dropbox users via a shared folder.  I've been using "robocopy c:\backups c:\users\admin\dropbox\backups /E" for all those years to do this.  

Recently something has changed.  Whenever this command runs, and it overwrites the folder in dropbox called "backups", which used to be handled by Dropbox without issue, Dropbox now unshares that folder as if I had deleted the shared folder and created a new unshared folder of the same name. 

If I reshare the folder to my users, on their machine each time it renames it to "backups (1)", "backups (2)" etc. and requires them to download the entire directory tree again.   

Is there any way to prevent the folder share being lost when copying to it?

17 Replies

Re: Copying over a folder causes share to be lost

Dropboxer

This is a behavior I'd be happy to investigate @td0g. Thanks for reaching out! 

A few questions for you. How does this report in your events page? Does it show the folders deleted and re-added? thinking face

Are you on a server?

What version of Dropbox are you using? What is the version of your OS? 

Looking forward to all the details! Thanks. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Hi, I'm using v84.4.170 on windows 7 on all machines.  In the events, the first message I get is "You removed your access to the shared folder backups" and then a long list of "You deleted" and "You added" for each file in that folder.  I'm not sure what you mean by am I on a server? 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

OK. That's good! Cause it means you aren't on a server. grinning face

Please click the number of files of the deletion and then the addition events and let me know if the name of the directories are different in the deletion and the addition list. 

I hope what I posted here makes sense. If this seems too complicated, we can switch to email and I can look into the events on my end. tools

Let me know @td0g. We will get to the bottom of this together.

Thank you! 

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

I do not have any entries in deleted files that relate to this.  robocopy seems to be overwriting the files and directories, including whatever flag makes it shared with other users, but it does not register as a deletion.  

Dropboxer

I see. If robocopy causes this locally, Moving files from Dropbox.com should work without renames and duplicates and sync them normally to your computers Dropbox. Have you tried that? (Not a solution, I know. Just checking) 

Would it be possible to pause this third party app, while you are making the movement in Dropbox? thinking face

Fiona

New member | Level 2

Have been having the same problem. I have a batch file that runs robocopy, which is a built-in Windows command line application, to update files in a subdirectory of my Dropbox folder. Starting in October, when I've run the batch file, Dropbox starts by saying that it's syncing just the changed files (say, 9 files), then, about 10 seconds later says it's updating over 1000 files. It has decided the subfolder was deleted then recreated, so it syncs the whole thing, and also unshares it since it's a "new" folder. This is repeatable, and the batch file that I use to run robocopy has not changed, and the Windows robocopy command has not changed. The Dropbox client has changed its behavior. I suspect it sees a timestamp change on the subdirectory itself and misinterprets this as the directory having been deleted and recreated.

Dropboxer

Hello @briknit

Sorry to hear you are having the same issue. Thank you for the detailed description of this situation.

RoboCopy scripts to dump files where the Dropbox client is installed using symbolic links and this explains the behavior you described. As of mid-2019, Dropbox no longer follows items outside of your Dropbox account that are linked to b...

Here are a few Community discussions about this: 

I am afraid this set up will not sync, the way it use to and I have no workaround to provide. 

I hope the information provided helps you set this up differently, if possible. 

Have a nice week! 

Fiona

Helpful | Level 5

I did try this using the web site and it does work without triggering this issue.  

Dropboxer

Thanks for the heads up @td0g. This means breaking the connection between robocopy and Dropbox will solve this issue with your local Dropbox folders. 

I understand this is a setup you were using up to today but unfortunately I don't have a workaround to have this working properly for you. slightly frowning face

Fiona

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Copying robocopy back up folder causes share to be lost.
17 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey