Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Created/Modified Dates Changing

Explorer | Level 3

I'm uploading photos and videos from my iPhone to Dropbox via the Dropbox app. Then I'm using the Dropbox app on my PC to drag and drop them into folders on my desktop. I noticed when going through the videos that the created/modified on dates are now reflecting the date of upload, not the true created/modified on dates. Why? How can I stop this from happening? I noticed I can view the file creation date under details, but for many of my files it says these details are unavailable and I can't figure out why.

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Created/Modified Dates Changing

Super User II

@allnitediner wrote:

I noticed when going through the videos that the created/modified on dates are now reflecting the date of upload, not the true created/modified on dates. Why?

Because that's the date that the file was created in Dropbox.

How can I stop this from happening?

This is the intended behavior and it cannot be prevented.

Date Created or Modified are not good options for determining when a photo or video was taken. Instead you should use the Date Taken or Creation Date within the EXIF data for those files. That will never change and is embedded into the file by the camera when the file is created.

Explorer | Level 3

I am asking why Dropbox uses this as a default. Obviously it is the intended behavior otherwise it wouldn't be happening, but it is not what I would think most users would prefer as the date each file was "created" in Dropbox is not relevant or meaningful. I would like to be able to sort them by the date they were taken, not the date they were created in Dropbox. There should be a way to change this default and if there isn't, that is unfortunate.

I am also asking why some of my files do not have the correct creation date embedded in the file details and why some of them say that these details are unavailable when every video was taken on the same iPhone.

Highlighted

Super User II

Dropbox doesn't embed that information into your files. Your camera/mobile does when the photo or video is taken. Dropbox has no control over that. It can only display the information if it's available.

Explorer | Level 3

Perhaps I'm not explaining it well.

Issue #1: Everything I moved off of Dropbox and onto my laptop has a new "created on" date, which is annoying. I am asking why I can't retain the original creation date, the one that reflects when each file was created on my iPhone. If that is impossible to achieve with Dropbox, that is unfortunate and what I would consider to be a major flaw in Dropbox's design. This is my opinion. I can't imagine why anyone would want to move their files from their phone to Dropbox, then from Dropbox to their computer, to find that they have all new "created on" dates and cannot be sorted by the date they were originally created, outside of Dropbox.

Issue #2: If I accept this, there's still the issue of inconsistency. Most of my files do include the original and correct "media created on" information under the properties/details tab, as opposed to under the properties/general tab (where the Dropbox creation date is displayed). Others show the Dropbox creation date in both places, and a few say there is no information available. I wasn't sure if this had anything to do with the way I moved them from Dropbox and onto my laptop (drag and drop). I don't see any reason why this information should be inconsistent across the files I moved over. And if Dropbox has nothing to do with the embedded info, why do some show the original info while others have been replaced by Dropbox's info?

Dropboxer

Hello @allnitediner

Please check out this article regarding modification dates in Dropbox: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/sort-preview/modified-date

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User II

@Fiona You need to correct your link.

Dropboxer

Thanks @Richrelieved face

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Created/Modified Dates Changing
7 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey