Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Customers have files that are too big for Dropbox Free

Helpful | Level 5

I have a Dropbox Business account, and we're trying to allow our customers to send us very large files. We're doing our best to talk all of our customers into using Dropbox, but often, they need to send us a folder that's larger than 2 gig (the max size of the free Dropbox account). We're struggling with how to cope with this. We've experimeneted with the file request feature, but when we do that, we get a mess of files that are difficult to sort through and organize. 

Any ideas on how we could allow our customers to share large folders with us that exceed the file size of their Dropbox folders?

7 Replies

Re: Customers have files that are too big for Dropbox Free

Dropboxer

Hey ChrisGrahamMast

Thanks for posting your query on the Dropbox Community! 

To my mind, the best course of action would be to re-purpose one of your licenses and invite them as a member of your team. Once the project you're working on finishes, you can go ahead and delete their account from the Dropbox team, using the account transfer feature.

This way, you'll be able to keep the project files without putting them overquota. 

If you need more details about it, just let me know here! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Good idea! I'm afraid that could get a little pricey though as we'd need to have a lot of acounts to go around to all of our customers. I wish there was some sort of coupon code we could give customers to give them more dropbox space for a limited amount of time.

Super User II
Remember that as soon as you are finished with each project you can reclaim that licence back and allocate it to another customer - they do not become permanently linked to your account.

I assume as well that the cost will be recharged to them anyway if they are your customer.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift reply, I'd be more than glad to forward your feedback on account management on to our team. 

Just keep in mind that you’d be granting one of your customers a license with the purpose to upload files on your account, instead of using it for a longer period of time, so ideally your clients would use that for the short time that your project would be going on for. Therefore, when a project finishes, you are free to use the extra license for a new user. My suggestion would work if two projects are not concurrent, so if you have two open tasks, then you may have to choose to use the license for the customer that you work most closely with. 

Feel free to reply here if you need more clarifications, it’ll be a pleasure to follow-up. Wishing you a great week ahead!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

Unfortunatly, we have many project that are all in process at the same time. Are there any other options that wouldn't involve giving an account to a customer? 

Dropboxer

Hey ChrisGrahamMast

Hmmmm.... thinking face Have you thought about file requests? They'll be able to send over files, which will only affect your space, without using up one of your licenses. Just keep in mind that File requests don't necessarily require the files to be on their own Dropbox account.  How does that sound as an alternative? 

[ Edit : Apologies, you had mentioned you had already attempted to use File requests earlier on on your post, thanks for pointing this out @Rich

If File requests haven’t helped you, I’d rather suggest following Rich’s instructrions.

If, on the other hand, the only reason that you d rather avoid File requests is because the files ended up uncategorized, maybe the following idea helps you. 

# One of the accounts of your team will set up all the File Requests in Folders, which will be separated in clients and each client will have a different folder for each project. This way, you d have prepared your folder structure
Screenshot 2017-06-06 13.41.31.png

Screenshot 2017-06-06 13.43.18 (1).png]
Hope this helps!

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Jane

Super User II

ChrisGrahamMast wrote:

We've experimeneted with the file request feature, but when we do that, we get a mess of files that are difficult to sort through and organize.

Have your customers package the folder into a single Zip file before uploading. You'll receive a single file that you can unpack to preserve the file names and directory structure.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Customers have files that are too big for Dropbox Free
7 Replies
6 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey