cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Dropbox but didn't restore space on local hard

Deleted Dropbox but didn't restore space on local hard

hamiltonhart
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I downloaded the Dropbox application, synced a folder and realized it actually stores the files locally. I understand now what I didn't before. However, after unlinking my account, deleting the application and the Dropbox folder, I still have not reclaimed the 70GB. Any idea why that is?

macOS Mojave

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@hamiltonhart wrote:
I then reduced the number of shared folders down to what amounted to less than 1GB. The space did not return to my drive after removing the material.

That's because when folders are removed from the local drive, they're temporarily stored in the hidden .dropbox.cache folder in the root of your Dropbox. This is done to aid in recovery of the folders in case the deletion was a mistake. Files in cache are purged after three days.

I then unsynced and removed Dropbox still not reclaiming the space.

If you only uninstalled the Dropbox app, then the Dropbox folder still remains as it is not deleted during an uninstall. If you deleted the Dropbox folder manually, then the space is no longer being taken up by Dropbox (it can't be as you've deleted the folder).

View solution in original post

hamiltonhart
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As an update. It was just me being impatient. Eventually, the space showed it was once again available. It took longer than expected and restarting did not help, but be patient. Thanks for the help all.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If you've fully deleted the Dropbox folder from your computer, then it won't be Dropbox taking up that space.

After you deleted the folder, did you empty your trash/recycle bin?

hamiltonhart
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I emptied the trash and restarted multiple times.

Upon syncing the folders, I immediately noticed the space discrepancy and that the Dropbox folder is where the 70GB went. I then reduced the number of shared folders down to what amounted to less than 1GB. The space did not return to my drive after removing the material. I then unsynced and removed Dropbox still not reclaiming the space.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@hamiltonhart wrote:
I then reduced the number of shared folders down to what amounted to less than 1GB. The space did not return to my drive after removing the material.

That's because when folders are removed from the local drive, they're temporarily stored in the hidden .dropbox.cache folder in the root of your Dropbox. This is done to aid in recovery of the folders in case the deletion was a mistake. Files in cache are purged after three days.

I then unsynced and removed Dropbox still not reclaiming the space.

If you only uninstalled the Dropbox app, then the Dropbox folder still remains as it is not deleted during an uninstall. If you deleted the Dropbox folder manually, then the space is no longer being taken up by Dropbox (it can't be as you've deleted the folder).

hamiltonhart
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As an update. It was just me being impatient. Eventually, the space showed it was once again available. It took longer than expected and restarting did not help, but be patient. Thanks for the help all.

TaylorArmstrongVFX
New member | Level 2

Thanks SO much for this. I had no idea about that hidden folder - my harddrive thanks you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TaylorArmstrongVFX New member | Level 2
    hamiltonhart Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?