Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

Re: Deleted files but it still says I have no space

New member | Level 1

I'm having the same problem, I have shared folders (including files). I have cleared everything out and the space used remains the same and bears no relation to the amount of online space I am really using.

I am guessing, because Dropbox are fucking useless at technical support ("why support people when we only want their money?"), that it is because the folders are still 'shared' with me. i.e. if I picked up the original invitation I could reinstate the folders.

The upshot of this is that I am off. Bye bye Dropbox. There are plenty of other consumer level cloud space providers out there. box.com seems like a good bet. 

New member | Level 1

I also deleted a bunch of files and have not recovered any addition space.  I don't get it.  But I certainly can see this is a recurring problem.

New member | Level 1

I had the same issue and realized that my deleted files were not completely deleted from my Dropbox, as I could see them under "deleted file". I tried http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-permanently-delete-files-from-dropbox/ and after deleted them permanently, my "out of space" notice disappeared.

New member | Level 1

l am struggling with the same now, is Dropbox actually so desperate that they won´t make us delete these files to free up space in our Dropboxes?? 

What a shame.

I´ve def. deleted more than 600 MB now, but says around 9.4 GB of 10 GB used space.

Get a grip DROPBOX!!! :-( 

New member | Level 1

Same issue , no increase in space after file deletions, I read somewhere in Dropbox help that it actually may take a few weeks to delete files from the Dropbox end, this did not happen before. Tried to follow an article on permanently deleting files using the web browser , I see no way , it looks like we have to wait 30 days for file deletions to complete and regain space , that sucks! I think it is a marketing trick to get users to  purchase more space. Ain't gonna work with me, I don't mind referring people to get more space, but why would I refer others if this is what is also going to happen to referrals later, This is capitalism at work! Dropbox please fix it or you will lose customers in a backfire. Quit it!

New member | Level 1

When I click the drop down arrow next to my name it shows a red line with 3.4 GB of 2.75 GB used. At the top of the browser it says "Your Dropbox is full. Get more space." With a link to get more space. As far as I can tell there's nothing stored to account for the usage. When I click on Deleted files in the left panel list, I see stuff I've deleted. Below it is says "Deleted files are stored up to 30 days. Want to keep them for a year? Choose Extended Version History when you upgrade to Dropbox Pro."

As far as I can tell and what others have commented; Dropbox wants you to purchase more space. I don't need Dropbox so I'll just dump it.

New member | Level 1

I tried a lot of things and finally succeeded in getting rid of files and getting my space back. I think it was emptying my Windows Recycle Bin that worked but I'm not sure.

New member | Level 1

I have a terabyte of storage and am using 3% currently but it keeps telling us we are out of space or about to be!! what can i do?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Ray - glad to hear you got it sorted.

Wade - what exactly, does the message say?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 1

I also have this problem. I just spent the better part of a day trying to arrange photos into folders to better manage them, i.e. I have a folder for work pics, one for family stuff, one for pics at the lake, vacation, etc. All the photos are still in a timeline. I have spent time downloading a great deal of them to my desktop in order to move them to an external hard drive that we have just for pics.

It seems that as convenient as Dropbox is to use as an automatic backup, it's a pain to deal with thereafter. It is telling me that I have used double the amount of space allotted to me, yet it is also telling me that I can not download anything over 1GB.

HELP!!!!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Deleted files but it still says I have no space
115 Replies
227 Likes
Solved! : See solution