Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Deleted files but it still says I have no space

New member | Level 1

Having the same problem as everyone else, Ive deleted everything out of my dropbox and it says I am full, to buy more space. After reading everyone else having the same issue. Dropbox is going to loose a lot of customers this way. After looking at the setting on Dropbox it says I'm using 123 mb on the drive and 13.5gb of shared files. I guess they are counting shared files against your total storage? That is so wrong! Im ready to jump ship. 

New member | Level 1

Same here. Online it says I have space. But the drop box icon says It is full and the icon does not respond. 

Super User II

If its not responding Philip its crashed. Restart your machine. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2

This is what I submitted to the help, via email form, and may cast some light for others with the problem. In short, I can see the files on the web site, and access them, just not via the convenient folder on the computer itself. I can access them via the DropBox iOS app. So the files are not lost; it's the desktop app that is not syncing once the quota has been reached or exceeded.

I'm using OS X, but Windows users have reported the same behaviour.

My post to DropBox help follows:

I uploaded files that weren't rejected by DropBox, however they didn't appear, and when I was about to send them again the message showed they had already been uploaded.

So, I looked further: they don't show in my OS X folder, but do on my iPad, and on the website access. The index on the web site shows that I have plenty of space.

Even after clearing space by moving files out of the DropBox folder on the computer there is no change. The menu bar details indicated that files were being *up*loaded, but I would expect only deleted.

It looks as if this is an issue with the application that links the computer directly with DropBox. The forum discussion indicates that it also applies to Windows.

Grateful for a heads-up on this one.

New member | Level 1

This is also happening to me. I deleted all my files permanently and it still says no space left.

New member | Level 2

No further reply from Dropbox themselves, but the issue solved itself. As I already indicated files did not appear to be lost; it was just the app that syncs files between Dropbox and the computer that was not showing the actual capacity used, and not showing some files in the folder on the computer. It seems that if you go over 100% it cannot detect when you have deleted files to make space. Dropbox allows a little bit over 100% I think so that have time to do this.

Try quitting dropbox. On OS X click on the icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen, then click the gear wheel and choose "quit Dropbox". Restart it by clicking on the icon in the Applications folder. If this doesn't work, try downloading it again, reinstalling it and then restarting it. 

Windows and Linux users should be able to do the equivalant. I'm not familiar with those systems, but no doubt somebody here is and can advise if you have any difficulty.

Hope this helps.

New member | Level 1

I also want to give up on Dropbox for these reasons. Any suggestion which alternative program to use? 

New member | Level 1

I was having a similar problem where I was deleting things and it didn't seem to be having any impact.  I sent them a message on Twitter. I tagged them and they ask me to send them a DM, then they eventually emailed me and it was resolved. Yay for social media.

New member | Level 1

Nancy, how was it resolved??

New member | Level 2

Yes, Nancy, it would be helpful if you could post what they told you slightly smiling face

Dagmar, did you see my post? That could be the issue, and it is due to a bug somewhere, but is solved if you restart the dropbox app.

There are alternatives, but not as good as Dropbox. Google drive is probably the best (IMHO) and works in a similar way. It doesn't keep back up versions of all changes for a month like Dropbox does, however.

The Google drive app had some problems a few years ago, but they have been resolved. The same thing happened then: the files were on the Google server, but did not show up on the computer's drive and uploading/downloading was not necessarily functioning automatically. 

So your files are probably quite safe. Check Dropbox by logging in with a browser. It's the application that syncs your computer automatically that is playing up.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Deleted files but it still says I have no space
115 Replies
229 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post