Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Deleted photos from Dropbox shows up in Dropbox app

New member | Level 2

I have deleted a bunch of photos from my Camera uploads. They still show up in the app in the "recent" tab. Why does Dropbox keep these files I want to delete? Why are they showing up, even after their deletion? How can I be sure that Dropbox doesn't keep deleted files in one way or another if they show up like this? How can I delete these files from Dropbox for good? This is seriously creepy and I'm thinking about changing the service after being a paying custumer for something like 9 years. 

5 Replies

Rif.: Deleted photos from Dropbox shows up in Dropbox app

Explorer | Level 3

I deleted some of my files years ago from my account, but when I open the source link of that files I can download them again. Absurd face screaming in fear

Re: Deleted photos from Dropbox shows up in Dropbox app

Super User II

@muckargral 

Did you delete them from the Camera Uploads folder of your Dropbox account or the actual camera folder on your device? And where did you delete from? If a computer you need to wait for it to go back to a green tick to say they've been removed which can take a bit of time if there are lots.

@Fenn

The source link is not in your account. It is where you got them from, so, yes, it makes sense that is still active unless the person you got them from has deleted the files or stopped the link. When you deleted from your account you deleted them from that account only. No other.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2

I deleted them from the Camera Uploads folder on my Dropbox account, and also in my actual camera folder on my phone. The images should be gone. I have cleared cache as well, but the images are still showing up. They don't appear when I log in on a computer, just on my phone app at the "recent" tag, even though I have permanently deleted the photos. Dropbox shouldn't be able to see the files or show me the photos in my app. Yet - there they are. 

They shouldn't be able to keep any of my data if I choose to permanently delete it. That's a part of the GDPR agreement, since my country is part of the EU.

Super User II

Dropbox isnt keeping them. You permanently deleted them. They've gone. Its well known that once things are permanently deleted they are unrecoverable. Plenty of people have tried when deleting stuff by mistake to get them back. 

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. It sounds like a cache fault. Or they are stored in your account twice. For example a copy to another location. So if you click on the file in recents see where it takes you to.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

The files are mine, and i mean this type of source link: https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/2/AACBYrzeoxwJIsdQa-Mr8PjRKB5EHwljjbGCs2alz1DE1A/12/314401638/jpeg/32... (I permanently deleted this file more than 3 years ago) You will probably see the 403 error because the file is accessible only when I am connected to my account, but it remains online anyway. thinking face

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Deleted photos from Dropbox shows up in Dropbox app
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post