Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Deleting Folders from my computer?

Level 2

I just started the smart sync process with my computer.  Once it is finished doing this, can I then delete folder off my desktop?  Will this impace what I see on Dropbox?  

3 Replies

Re: Deleting Folders from my computer?

Dropboxer
Hey there, @Yvonne M.2

Initially, please bear in mind that Smart Sync is a feature that helps you save space on your hard drive, but allows you to see the structure of your folders and files. 

If you delete a folder or a file from your Dropbox folder, that change will sync and will be reflected across the website and other connected devices. In other words, it will be deleted from your account. 

If you don’t want a folder to take up space in your hard drive, you can selectively sync it. This will remove it from your computer, but not from your account. 

I hope this helped to some extent! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Thank you for responding!  When I'm looking at my Dropbox folders and I right click on a folder, I see the option to Smart Sync.  When I click that I get either the Local or Online option.  Is online what I want to be using?  I'm not seeing Selectively Sync anywhere I look.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me on this, @Yvonne M.2

The options that you see (local and online-only) are the Smart Sync options. If you want to save space using this feature, you’d have to choose for your files and folders to be online-only. 

What this option does is that it allows the files and folders to appear in the Dropbox folder on your computer, but they don’t use the full amount of space that the file otherwise would. You can see the file, but the content isn’t fully downloaded until you need it. Only information about the file, such as the file name, location, and date the file was updated, is downloaded.

@Yvonne M.2 wrote:

I'm not seeing Selectively Sync anywhere I look 

To use selective sync just follow the steps below: 
  1. Click on the Dropbox icon from the row of icons on your computer’s desktop.
  2. Click the gear icon.
  3. Select Preferences… from the menu.
  4. Navigate to the Sync tab.
  5. Click Selective Sync… (Windows) or Choose folders to sync (Mac).
  6. On the left-hand side, uncheck the boxes of any folders that you don't need on your computer's hard drive. They’ll still be available in your account through the website.
  7. When you're done, select Update.
Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Deleting Folders from my computer?
3 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution