Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Deleting Shared Folders

Explorer | Level 3

Please confirm If I delete a folder that another user shared with me it does not get deleted from the person's account who shared the file with me.  

3 Replies

Re: Deleting Shared Folders

Dropboxer

Hey @NewUser1! Welcome to the Community! 

When you delete a folder that was shared with you, you just remove your access from it. The folder remains safe in the owners account. 

Note pushpin The folder will still show under your "Sharing" tab to add it back, if you don't permanently remove your access from it. Folders you have under sharing and have not added, don't take up space, so no worries. smiling face with sunglasses

Here is an article on the matter: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/unshare-folder

Feel free to ask more questions! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

deleting file from shared folder (not the owner)

Explorer | Level 3
I was told that if I deleted a shared folder from my dropbox (not the owner) it would not affect the owner's dropbox. I tried deleting a file that was shared with me (not the owner) and it was deleted from the owner's account as well. The owner has 30 days to recover but how do they know it was deleted? Trying to understand the process. thanks,

Re: deleting file from shared folder (not the owner)

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us about this @NewUser1 . I merged your new thread to your original one. 

Deleting a folder, deletes it only for you. You can see the steps in our official Help center article here

Deleting the files in the folder, would reflect for the owner though. Is this what happened?  thinking face

The owner get's notified via email for large deletions and also can see the deletion in their events page anytime. 

Looking forward to your response to understand what happened in your case. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Deleting Shared Folders
3 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post