cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want to sync my Desktop folder. Any ideas?

I don't want to sync my Desktop folder. Any ideas?

TheDubs
Helpful | Level 6

I changed my password. Logged out of the other devices that access my dropbox and then logged in with the new password. In doing so I notice there is now a desktop folder. I do not want drop box to share my desktop files. So I deleted the folder.

wrong.

I lost all my images that were left on the desk top.

I restored all the deleted files from today. But I still lost a lot of images. Im not convinced they will return.

How can I unsync my desktop folder or stop dropbox accessing it.

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox doesn't (and can't) sync the items on your Desktop on its own. It will only sync the items located within the local Dropbox folder on your hard drive. There have been work-arounds and other third-party utilities that allowed you to sync folders outside of Dropbox, but they are not supported.

So to determine how to prevent Dropbox from syncing your Desktop, we'd need to know how you set it up to do so in the first place.

TheDubs
Helpful | Level 6

I did not set it up to do so. When I logged back on to drop box I noticed the desktop folder. It  was not there in the past.

TheDubs
Helpful | Level 6

It was not there in the past. 

robwaterman
Explorer | Level 4

I had the same problem as you. I inadvertantly checked the box to sync my desktop folders. I tried to delete the desktop folder deep within the dropbox file structure and ended up deleting important documents on my desktop permanently. I was very frustrated and confused. Since I have important information synced with dropbox right now I haven't looked into it further. Did you figure out a solution?

VirgilFox
New member | Level 2

I am also wondering how to do this. I did not even get to choose if I was going to sync my desktop on my latest install. It just did it automatically.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @robwaterman and @VirgilFox, just jumping in here!

We recently released a beta feature for automatically backing up your computer folders. If you'd like to disable this, then please check out the steps towards the bottom of this article.

If you're having any issues with this then please let me know and I'd be happy to help out with this.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Pegah
New member | Level 2

Hi, I have the same probloem. Did you find out the solution?

Pegah
New member | Level 2

It didn't work! I don't need to backup my folders. I just want to unsync the following folders to dropbox anymore!

Actually I didn't wanted to do so at all, but these folders had been selected when I first signed in and I didn't know that I should unckeck them!

Is there any way to undo this???

Pegah
New member | Level 2

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    mreher New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff