Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Desktop app is stuck 'Starting' when it loads up and doesn't sync

New member | Level 1

I am a paying customer and very frustrated with Dropbox. I am ready to drop DropBox and look for other alternatives.

Since Friday of last week it has been trying to sync 100Gb in files and it is taking an eternity. Now is stuck in "Starting."
I have rebooted the Mac (10.6.smiling face with sunglasses. I am using Dropbox 3.0.3. I have tried going to Preferences, holding the option key and "Fixing Permission." I also read in the Internet about deleting the hidden cache folder but I have not done it yet since I don't know what to expect.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Tags (2)
89 Replies

Re: Stuck on "starting"

Community Manager

Hey Bert, I'm really sorry you're experiencing issues with Dropbox.

Could you try to relink your software? It might help if your app is stuck.

Instructions here: https://help.dropbox.com/mobile/unlink-relink-computer-mobile

If it doesn't work, a complete reinstall might do the trick: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/uninstall-dropbox

(You have advanced instructions at the bottom)

New member | Level 1

I have the same problem. This is ridiculous. I have only 30Gb.

Community Manager

Hi Sean!

This issue can have maaany cause: security software on your computer, proxy configuration, firewall, problem when the program was installed, too many files (more than 300k as a soft limit or more than 1 million), operational disk error...

If you have less than 50 000 files, you might try to relink your Dropbox app (cf my previous message).
It might solve your problem.

If it doesn't work, then it might be something more complex, that might require to check your account.
You can contact Dropbox support here:
https://www.dropbox.com/support

Have a great day slightly smiling face

New member | Level 1

I have the same problem almost daily. Yes it could be one of the issues mentioned but there is no way of knowing and the customer (paying customer) is left with a mess.

Community Manager

Hi everyone!

You can of course contact support here:
https://www.dropbox.com/support

Support will have access to information about your account that can help troubleshoot your issues slightly smiling face

New member | Level 1

My screen is also stuck on "starting" and I have tried re linking over and over again.

Anyways I agree with Bert

"I am a paying customer and very frustrated with Dropbox. I am ready to drop DropBox and look for other alternatives. "

Community Manager

Hi guys!

These issues are complex and require access to your personal information to be able to troubleshoot.

I would really recommend you to write in to our support team, who would be more than happy to help you!

Thanks

New member | Level 1

Did any thing progresses about this issue. I just moved to dropbox pro, and I am not anymore able to use dropbox because it is stuck on "starting..."

I have done everything suggested... 1/unlink, 2/re-install dropbox

Any help?!?

New member | Level 1

Been stuck on either "Starting..." or "Downloading file list..." for days now. Sure am glad I'm paying a hundred bucks a year for this.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Desktop app is stuck 'Starting' when it loads up and doesn't sync
89 Replies
66 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post