cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox does not finish some tasks

Dropbox is continuously reporting it's syncing, or indexing on Windows 10.

coymeetsworld
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

Despite not making any changes to my Dropbox folder contents on my Windows host the Dropbox icon is at a constant syncing and/or indexing state and I cannot tell what it is actually trying to do. I've had this issue for weeks, I've had to even shut down Dropbox at times because it was using a high amount of CPU cycles.

I've updated to latest version 86.4.146 and I still have the problem. I do not have this issue on my Ubuntu box at home. Is there a way to tell what Dropbox is actually doing? I just get a vague statement it says it's "Syncing..." or "Indexing one file", but can't tell what it is syncing or indexing.

45 Replies 45

Chillosoph
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes i had to click anywhere in the box and the tab spacebar once, if i held the key it would switch between visible and invisible.

But the 2 Fixes didn't change the Problem.

All i get is this window when I over the icon, and nothing changes even after hours.

Unbenannt3.png

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshot @Chillosoph!

If the issue was caused due to incorrect permissions, the desktop app might need a little time to finish syncing any files it couldn't sync previously.

Do you still see no progress within the sync status?

If there has been no change, would you mind if I reached out to your email linked to your Community profile?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Chillosoph
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

No it hasn't change.
Can i give you another email because I need a Login-Token everytime I want to Login into that account. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

So we can look into some device specific info on this, I'd need to be in contact with the email address that's associated with your Dropbox account.

If this is different than the one linked to your Community profile @Chillosoph, can you please create a ticket from here and let me know the ticket number that you receive?

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Chillosoph
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The Community Account and the Dropbox Account are the same.

I also just tried it on the buggy PC with a new Dropbox Account.
So the only combination it doesn't work is on 1 PC with the normal Account.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Okay, I've reached out to the email linked with your Community profile as this seems to be the one experiencing the issue.

Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Cylon_X
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Right now, I have well over 100,000 files on dropbox, using about 1.4 TB of the 3 TB available. My problem is, that almost everything gets synchronized, but just before the end the synchronization seems to stop and won't quite finish some tasks (see screenshot):Dropbox_Problem.jpg

Translation:
DSC_5139.jpg is being indexed
17 files are being uploaded
DSC_5139.jp is being downloaded

If I add or remove files, they will get synchronized, however, what is shown in the picture above will remain. I've restarted dropbox, restarted my PC, even disconnected dropbox and reconnected it again. Interestingly, after disconnecting my dropbox and reconnecting it, the problem remained, but the tasks left undone were different.

So now I've run out of ideas and would really appreciate some help to get that green tick back.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Cylon_X, I hope you're well today!

Can you just take a look at the steps I posted here to see if that does the trick?

You might need to give the app a short amount of time to apply the changes before you notice any change in the sync status.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Endlessimagery
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I recently updated to a busniess account from a professional account and now it is trying to sync all of the files - was going fine but now it seems to be stuck and says its downloading 23 files (0.0kb/sec 2+ days) - I have tried to pause and restart the sync, restarted dropbox and even restarted the computer and it does the same thing.  Please help!  Thank you!

Greg

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Endlessimagery, I hope you're well today!

Can you just try the steps outlined here to see if that will allowing syncing to progress on your device?

These steps will fix any incorrect file permissions that might be preventing the app from being able to sync.

Just to note, if you happen to be using a Mac device instead, you'll need to hold down the Options/Alt key instead of the Space bar.

Let me know how it goes! 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?