cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Desktop app stuck at "Connecting" No firewall, proxy, etc

New member | Level 2

Dropbox under Windows 10: when starting the app it is trying to connect to internet, but fails to do so and produces error message "No internet connection..." despite the computer being online. After closing the error message window Dropbox app continues to try to connect and is no more responsive. After deep uninstallation and re-installation of Dropbox behaviour unchanged.

I have manually set the proxy setting to "No Proxy', I even turned Windows Firewall off on the Win 10 PC that is NOT connected to a filtered network in any way. There is no anti virus, no proxy, no web filtering, no firewall, nothing, and the PC won't connect, even to try logging the account in. 

Please help me

3 Replies

Re: Desktop app stuck at "Connecting" No firewall, proxy, etc

Dropboxer
Hey Alma (@alma25), just as a point of reference, can you access our website on your browser? 

While you've already tried checking back on your network permissions, I'm wondering if you've tried restarting your router once by any chance to see if this does the trick. Are you trying to load our desktop app on a home or work network at the moment Alma? 

From there, has this been a recent occurrence? I’m wondering whether any application running in the background has been blocking Dropbox from performing as it should (i.e. but you’re not suspecting it as a possible culprit at the moment). 

If I were in your shoes, I’d have a look at my syncing icons  Arrows Counter Clock/White check mark? Do they appear as expected? From there, I’d recommend re-installing our app using the Offline installer that should eliminate similar discrepancies (& you can reference the steps outlined below to get going with that)

More information
  • Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  
You may give my suggestion a go whenever you find some spare time & please do let me know how you get on with my advice on our discussion here!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2
Hi! Thanks for your answer, but it didn´t work.
- For starters, I’d recommend ensuring that there’s no security software blocking your connections & that you have whitelisted all of the Dropbox domains.
I´ve checked and Dropbox has permissions

- This may also apply to any security software built into your router. Have you tried restarting your router once by any chance to see if this does the trick? 
I already did it, no works

- From there, has this been a recent occurrence Alma? I’m wondering whether any application running in the background has been blocking Dropbox from performing as it should but you’re not suspecting it as a possible culprit at the moment.  I haven´t installed any new software.

-If I were in your shoes, I’d have a look at my syncing icons  / ? Do they appear as expected?
The icon just says "Connecting" in a loop but it doesn´n connect

- From there, I’d recommend re-installing our app using the Offline installer that should eliminate similar discrepancies: 
It didn´t work

Pleas help me

Dropboxer
I appreciate your cooperation & the time you’ve devoted to gather all this info for me Alma (@alma25); thanks for pinging me back here. I’d like to dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on your setup through our Official Support channel. So as to investigate having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email including all the details you’ve sent me here. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Desktop app stuck at "Connecting" No firewall, proxy, etc
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post