cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop app stuck indexing one file for over 24 hours

Desktop app stuck indexing one file for over 24 hours

SandyDandy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My desktop app has been stuck indexing for well over 24 hours at this point. It states that it is Indexing 1 File, Syncing 56 files, and Downloading 106 files. The files that need to sync and download are changes my team has made since it began indexing and got locked up. I have tried unlinking and relinking, restarting my computer, restarting dropbox, looking for bad file names, and many other troubleshooting techniques many times. This is absolutely unreasonable at this point. I am on Mac OS Mojave v 10.14.6... if anyone has any ideas, I'm desperate.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SandyDandy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Mark unfortunately there were so many files showing as "uploading" it was impossible to tell which file was the issue. Also no obvious bad file cues to indicate the issue. 

THE GOOD NEWS: I was able to fix it. Not sure if this is the optimal solution but it worked and has me working again. I took all of the files that showed as "syncing" onto my local harddrive as a backup and had my business administrator delete my account. We then restored the account which seems to have reset the syncing queue allowing it to fully resync, then slowly uploaded the files that I backed up to my computer. It is now fully synced and not indexing. No files caused the indexing so I have no idea.

Barely a solution but at least it's fixed. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @SandyDandy,

Typical reason for such issues is permission problems to some(s) of your files/folders. Check for at least... :wink:

SandyDandy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for responding!

At least running "fix permissions" did something. It managed to get it to re-index all of the files in my dropbox then get stuck on 1 again... Any other ideas?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Try the noted in this post.

SandyDandy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Attempted this, I am not very good at programming so I am unsure if it affected anything, it returned no feedback as to working. I'm not sure I even ran the commands correctly. Dropbox's status is unchanged...

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

That's good - missing messages. If there are - errors could be expected. Did you try restart Dropbox? If this don't helps... :slight_frown: I will let somebody else... could have some more ideas.

SandyDandy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Tried linking and unlinking, restarting dropbox, restarting my computer... I'm at a loss too, thanks for trying though

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @SandyDandy 

Possibly really really simple.... but do you know which file it is (either via the app telling you its name, or, its showing the blue spinning icon over it)?

If so move it out of Dropbox. Wait for Dropbox to then sync to a green tick and re-add it. That always works here.

Another thing to look at www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SandyDandy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Mark unfortunately there were so many files showing as "uploading" it was impossible to tell which file was the issue. Also no obvious bad file cues to indicate the issue. 

THE GOOD NEWS: I was able to fix it. Not sure if this is the optimal solution but it worked and has me working again. I took all of the files that showed as "syncing" onto my local harddrive as a backup and had my business administrator delete my account. We then restored the account which seems to have reset the syncing queue allowing it to fully resync, then slowly uploaded the files that I backed up to my computer. It is now fully synced and not indexing. No files caused the indexing so I have no idea.

Barely a solution but at least it's fixed. 

Need more support?