Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Desktop drag and drop no longer working with dropbox update app.

Explorer | Level 3

Desktop drag and drop nolonger working with dropbox update app.   I run PC with Windows 10.  The only way for me to send files now is by going to my dropbox online.

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Desktop drag and drop no longer working with dropbox update app.

Dropboxer

Thanks for reporting @Kdf7651

What happens when your drag and drop the files/folders in your Dropbox desktop folder? Are you getting an error? If so, can you get me a screenshot please?

Are the files not being moved in the folder at all? 

Are they in the Dropbox folder but missing their sync icons maybe? 

Do you see the Dropbox icon on your menu bar

What is the version of Dropbox installed? You can see it under "Preferences" and the "General" tab. 

Reboot your computer and try again. What are the results? 

Looking forward to your next comment to troubleshoot. tools Thanks! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Drag and drop now started working more or less.  I can only drag one file at a time and most of the time I get a window stating "illeagal operation" or something like that but the file is still transferred to dropbox.  Some of the files have been deleated from my hard drive in the process, so I now copy and paste to be safe.

The file displays all have a very limited length for name display which can't be expanded so long file names on more than one file with the first few words the same cannot be told apart until coppied to the computer hard drive.

The Desktop Dropbox window is now very big and can't be sized by very much which make draging and dropping very difficult.

Is it not possible to revert back to the old version which worked so much better?  My current version is V85.4.155

A problem dropbox has always had is if you edit a file and delete the the original from dropbox for all users, then then drag the new edited file into drop box leaving exactly the same name as before, dropbox will deliver the old unedited & deleted file, not the new one.

Dropboxer

Glad to hear drag and drop works in a way @Kdf7651.

Let's address all your concerns and fix things completely together.  

1. Can I get a screenshot of the "illegal operation" message you are getting? 
  2. Please note that the files are not deleted from your hard drive when moved to your Dropbox desktop application. They are in the Dropbox local folder of your desktop. Are they not on your Dropbox folder after you move them? 
  3. "The Desktop Dropbox window is now very big" I would like to see that too please. The update should not resize the desktop application interface. 
  4. You can update back to the previews stable Dropbox version, however things should work better in the new version and so I suggest we troubleshoot before you update back to 84. 
  5. I am trying to reproduce the file editing issue you described. After I deleted the original file and uploaded the new version of it, Dropbox only shows me the new file. Is there a step you are taking with a third party app maybe that I am not aware of? What type of files have this unexpected behavior on your end?  

Thanks for all your time on this @Kdf7651

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Desktop drag and drop no longer working with dropbox update app.
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post