cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disable URL to screenshot when taking a screenshot

Disable URL to screenshot when taking a screenshot

wyred
Helpful | Level 6

When I take a screenshot, a public URL to it is automatically copied.

This has been annoying in a few situations because I had some code copied that I wanted to paste, but overwritten by the screenshot URL.

How can I disable dropbox from automatically copying the URL to my clipboard?

I'm on macOS.

19 Replies 19

bkoplitz
New member | Level 2

hahaha!

I just went through the entire thing... too funny.  I thought it would be in the dropbox website.  

wyred
Helpful | Level 6

They added that new section after my post.

a2trade
New member | Level 2

this is annoying me. This did not do this before. I screen shot on mac and want to paste text but have to wait for the dropbox banner to come out and then when I paste its the stupid dropbox link. 

1. dropbox should havea an optioin to not show the banner

2. the link should not be copied to the clipboard , again add an option.  

edburns
New member | Level 2

I"m in the same boat- hey dropbox you need to have a pref to disable this, it shd not automatically be pasted, just lost an hour of my life trying to explain this to your team 

we have 35 drop box account here- do something about it its annoying, if i wanted a link id creat one dont it auto

sambid
New member | Level 2

I am not sure if you have got help or resolved the issues. I still had an issue when i uncheck the preferences, the screenshots got saved in the desktop. Here is what i did that resolved all of the above issue in mac:            

1) Unchecked the dropbox share from preference. This removed the setting and made the default settings back to desktop.

2) However, have ceated a new folder named Screenshot in the dropbox folder.              

3) used mac's default settings to change the default location of the screenshot to that folder. I used the process form this website. you can google how to do that. Change the default of screenshot

Cheers.

edburns
New member | Level 2
WOW THANKS!

sambid
New member | Level 2

You are welcome.

To add on, there are smaller issues that arise from this mainly with the naming      

1) the naming changed form "screenshot date (24hr time)" to  "Screen Shot (Date) at (12hr Time) pm".    

The naming is resolved by changing the naming with similar command to "screenshot". The preference-> language->advanced-> time -> medium format to "0-23" and removing the am/pm solved most of the issue to make it similar naming except fo the "at" that arises. But i guess "at" hasnt hurt anyone yet. 

twhitelaw
Helpful | Level 5

So, on a mac, here's another answer. You can take a screenshot Cmd+Shift+4, and that ends up in DB screenshots and you get a link when you paste it. OR you can use Cmd+Ctrl+Shift+4 and just get a jpg that will paste into a text editor or document or email or text message, etc.

dylankyang
New member | Level 2

Yo 3 years later thank you!!!!

I can't believe Dropbox still hasn't fixed this yet. You're a lifesaver I was just about to literally delete Dropbox cause I couldn't find a way around it lol

garethshaw
New member | Level 2

I know this is an old thread but I found the answer.

Disable dropbox from auto saving the screengrab and just change the location from within the screengrab.app on OSX.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Cmd+spacebar

screenshot

Enter

Options...

Other Location

Select "Dropbox / Screenshots"

Now they'll save to screenshots within dropbox by OSX, not dropbox so no link is generated and your clipboard isn't over written!

Need more support?