cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Discontinuing rendering of HTML content

Discontinuing rendering of HTML content

Perry P.
New member | Level 2

Got email notice from dropbox that they are discontinuing HTML rendering.  This is going to cause major issues for my wife since she uses this to distribute info and files to her students.  We are running a basic account and would be willing to upgrade to a paid account to retain this feature, but this policy seems to be across all account levels.

Any advice on alternatives?

54 Replies 54

Bob J.
Helpful | Level 6

I have made the call and have upgraded to Pro.

This gives me protection till September next year and seems a small price to pay for peace of mind.

However i do assume that my clients will be allowed to render the html that i offer them within my account without also upgrading.

can anyone confirm this?

Bob J.

Anoop G.
New member | Level 1

Bob J.,

Have you tried updog.co?

Your clients don't even need a dropbox account to have html rendered by dropbox, so I don't think any of that changes.

Anoop

Tom K.14
New member | Level 1

Please don't do this! It will put the final nail in the coffin for Dropbox.

Girardi M.
New member | Level 2

Hello, I'm a basic user.

Now I'm hosting some .js and .css files (not .html files), that I use from someone of my websites (they are used to provide standard contents for "cookies policy management").

Do this change will affect the "content-type" of the served files, and do it will affect .js and .css files?

Thank you for any answer.

Matteo

Roger A.9
New member | Level 2

Pro user here.  Will be dropping my use of Dropbox as a result of this change.  I'm serving up static pages which I use to document various projects I'm working on.  I was happy to pay for a Pro account, not because I needed the space, but because I felt that Dropbox was providing me an awesome service that I found very useful.  With the removal of this feature, that's no longer the case.

I will be transitioning my data files to Google Drive and my HTML content to GitHub pages.

It's sad that DropBox couldn't find another means of solving whatever problem prompted them to make this change.

Victor L.19
Explorer | Level 4

Try https://htmldrop.com

It'll render your HTML files using your Dropbox

Anoop G.
New member | Level 1

Is https://htmldrop.com similar to https://updog.co?  any idea how the two are different?

for what it's worth, i find rendering with updog to be noticeably slower than with bitballoon.  my guess is because updog has to get the data from dropbox while bitballoon has it available on their servers.

htmldrop looks like it may be sync-ing files, so it might have better performance than updog.

Victor L.19
Explorer | Level 4

@Anoop

https://htmldrop.com will sync your html, txt and css files locally which improves both load times and ease of use.

It will soon do syncing automatically instead of having the user manually sync the changes in his or her Dropbox.

Steve C.58
New member | Level 1

Thank you very much for this info.  I used DB for static configuration pages in Pebble watchfaces and thought I was out of luck...or at least out a few bucks every month.  Updog was a super easy solution that worked on the first try.

Shannon M.12
New member | Level 1

I'll be considering moving to another service (of which there are many) if Dropbox go through with this. I use this feature regularly for sharing prototypes for remote usability testing. I would expect Dropbox to come up with a better way to resolve the issue than to cut this valuable feature off. Very annoying!

Need more support?