Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Do All Team Members Require Their OWN Dropbox Accounts (not using Business)

New member | Level 2

Currently I and my business partner each have a Dropbox Plus 2 TB accounts that we access our company shared folders/files through. We are on our company "team".

This has been working well. We want to add a person to be able to access some, not all, of our shared folders. We added them yesterday as a team member - and got a message today "Your team member xxx’s FODMAP Everyday Dropbox is full. When a Dropbox is full, it stops syncing and files can’t be added to it. " - it then went on to try and sell us the Business version. Which we really don't need. (the constant push to sell the Business option is kind of annoying)

We really just want to give her access to several of our folders - can anyone please just walk us through how to simply do that? We seem unable to just provide her with a link to the folders as we often do with clients- it keeps telling us she doesn't have enough room - which doesn't make sense since she is NOT storing the files, we are. 

Thank you to anyone who can help us out here!

5 Replies

Re: Do All Team Members Require Their OWN Dropbox Accounts (not using Business)

Dropboxer

Hey there @Rojabella - how are you today?

Do you need her to have edit rights or view-rights to the said folders to begin with? 

If you are sending her a shared link and she's choosing to 'Add them' to her Dropbox account that's normal as she's trying to accept a folder that would put her over her account's quota.

If you were to send her an invitation to the folder(s) instead she'd still get the same error as her account cannot accommodate the folder(s) in question. 

For more information, please take a look at the following Help Center article: 

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/space-storage/storage-space

An account's quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

As you know, when you want to share a folder without impacting the recipient's quota, you can share a link to the folder, instead which allows users to view or download a one-way, read-only copy of the folder. You can read about this on our Help Center here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/view-only-access

If you'd like others to upload files to your Dropbox account without impacting their own account's quota, you can send a file request which enables a requester to have files uploaded to their Dropbox account by other individuals. You can read about this on our Help Center here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/create-file-request

Finally, sorry to spam you with this but if you are indeed interested in sharing a quota pool between multiple users, we do have a Dropbox Business subscription and you can read all about it on our website here:  https://www.dropbox.com/business

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Thank you!!! All of this is very clear for the first time. We will remove her from our "team" and just send her a link to the 2 folders we want her to be able to access the content from - which she can just download on her computer. (please confirm that she will be able to download and not just read but fully access/edit the videos she is downloading from our folder?)

Once she has new " edited videos" to send us we will send her a "file request" so those files can be loaded up on our company shared folder. 

A quick question about the Business Account - currently we only need 2 people to access the shared folders. We both have 2TB of space with the Dropbox plus at $9.99 a month each - of which we use only 4% of it. So.... what would the reason be for switching to a Business Plan that would cost us more? Is there a way to shut off the incessant marketing for the Business plan within our accounts? Just a little feedback that it pops up all too often and is off-putting. 

Again, thank you so much for answering so quickly and thoroughly! - Robin 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift reply too Robin - most appreciated! 

Just to be clear about this now, yes, she should be able to download files via shared links to her computer and work on those (local copies of the) files which she'll then need to upload to your account via the file request you'd have opened up for her (note that file requests require only an email address - not even a Dropbox account necessarily). 

I'm not sure about your company's size and needs, yet, one thing to keep in mind when considering the differences between a Dropbox Business account versus upgrading several Plus or Professional accounts is that the Plus or Professional storage quota is not cumulative. Upgrading 5 accounts to the Plus or Professional 2 or 3 TB Plan respectively does not allow you to share more than 2 or 3 TB worth of folders because shared folders count against the storage quota for each user, whereas the Business quota for 3 users is 3 TB of pooled storage (starting point is 3 licenses on the Business plans).

If you're interested in learning more about the Dropbox Business platform, I have included more information at the following link for you to take a look at:

https://www.dropbox.com/business/plans-comparison

You can also feel free to contact our sales team if you have any more questions.

Last but not least, thank you for your feedback - I'll make sure to pass your comments along to the team. 

In the meantime, I've also found the relevant thread for you to upvote this feature request if you like (i.e. an option for Plus or Professional users to completely disable all ads or prompts to try out the Business plans) and here's the link: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/Can-Dropbox-Pro-users-get-an-option-to-disable-all-ads-to-tr...

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Ha! There is an actual thread about the annoyingness of the ads.... awesome. Thanks for the link. I've added my thumbs up. And thanks again for the clear instructions. 

Dropboxer

Always happy to help Robin!

If you ever come up with a question, feel free to reach out; you know where to find us now winking face

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Do All Team Members Require Their OWN Dropbox Accounts (not using Business)
5 Replies
6 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post