Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Do I need to remove Dropbox completely if I'm running out of space on one of my devices?

Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox has caused me to totally run out of storage space on my hard drive on my MacPro.  Does anyone have any suggestion as to what to do. 

Do deleted files continue to take up space until they are permenently deleted?

Can I keep Drop box on my IMac but not my MacPro

Can I use dropbox on the cloud/internet and remove it from my computers?

thank you.  Wren

10 Replies

Re: Do I need to remove Dropbox completely if I'm running out of space on one of my devices?

Dropboxer
Hey @wrenflys, it goes without saying that all your files are safely stored on your account online & you can switch between our website & the desktop application as you see fit. 

To my mind, your best bet would be utilizing our Selective Sync feature, which will preserve all your content safely stored on your account online, while removing it from your desktop temporarily. (Tip: You may also have a look at this resource here, where Jay explains matters in a bit more detail.) 

From there, kindly note that adjusting your Selective Sync settings pertains only to the device you’re working on, so the folders you choose to sync on your MacBook will not be reflected on your iMac & vice-versa. Also, are you working on an upgraded account if you don’t mind me asking Wren? If so, then Smart Sync should help you resolve the hard disk space issue you’ve described us in your initial post. 

Last but not least, (& just to answer your question), deleted files don't count against your storage quota, so permanently deleting them won’t free up any space. 

Hopefully my message answers all your questions & please do let me know if you have any follow-up inquiries here. Wishing you a wonderful rest of your day until we talk again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

I Can't Find All of My Files

Helpful | Level 5

I am trying to find pages that show all my files & deleted files

Re: I Can't Find All of My Files

Dropboxer
Hey @wrenflys, kindly note that I moved your second message under this thread, so as to keep the conversation flowing if that’s okay with you. So, let’s take it from where we had left off here! 

While you can access your entire folder structure through your Files Wren, you could also search on your Deleted Files page for removed content & restore your files & folders if this was a recent occurrence. Would you mind having a look there whenever you get a chance? 

Please let me know how you get on with those hints whenever you get a chance!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Re: I Can't Find All of My Files

Helpful | Level 5

ahh...didn't see the reply button. I have been using dropbox for some time now, but am realizing how little I really know about it.  Thank you so much for your prompt helpful responses

I seem to have something like 60 gigs of documents in drop box. There apparently is a difference between what I see in dropbox on my IMac desktop and my Mac Pro and what I see in Dropbox online?

I have plenty of room in Dropbox for all my docs and photos but they have completely eaten up storage space in my hard drive on Mac Pro

I think I saw that smart sync (I have dropbox plus) will allow me to decide which docs go to DropBox?

Can I have dropbox on my IMac desktop but not on on Mac Pro desktop or does it need to be on both?

So if I remove dropbox from my computers I can still log in online as long as I am paid up?  How would I go about deleting dropbox from my computers?

Do files that are deleted from dropbox, but not permanently deleted still take up space on my computer hard drives until the 30 days is up? 

thank you for your help!

Re: Do I need to remove Dropbox completely if I'm running out of space on one of my devices?

New member | Level 2

dear,

you should not required to remove it completely.

Either you can remove some of unnecessary files or upgrade your account.

Helpful | Level 5

I am so new to this, so please forgive the reposting.  A friend is coming over to help tomorrow, so I would like as much information as I can get.

I have been using dropbox for some time now, but am realizing how little I really know about it.  Thank you so much for your prompt helpful responses

I seem to have something like 60 gigs of documents in drop box. There apparently is a difference between what I see in dropbox on my IMac desktop and my Mac Pro and what I see in Dropbox online?

I have plenty of room in Dropbox for all my docs and photos but they have completely eaten up storage space in my hard drive on Mac Pro

I think I saw that smart sync (I have dropbox plus) will allow me to decide which docs go to DropBox?

Can I have dropbox on my IMac desktop but not on on Mac Pro desktop or does it need to be on both?

So if I remove dropbox from my computers I can still log in online as long as I am paid up?  How would I go about removing dropbox from my computers?

Do files that are deleted from dropbox, (but not permanently deleted) still take up space on my computer hard drives unless they are permanently deleted?

thank you for your help!

Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping in touch on our discussion here @wrenflys, let’s take it from where we’ve left off! 

There apparently is a difference between what I see in dropbox on my IMac desktop and my Mac Pro and what I see in Dropbox online?

Can you clarify what appears differently? If your local folder structure in Dropbox isn’t reflected on your account online Wren, then we should run a quick test to determine where the disconnect is. Initially, please ensure that you’ve downloaded our latest desktop version (74.4.115), you’ve made all OS updates & our application is syncing correctly on your menu bar/ system tray

From there, would you mind cross-checking for the email you’re seeing on your Dropbox account online & on your desktop (Dropbox icon from your menu bar. > Click on the gear icon, and then select Preferences from the menu. > Click Account)? Do the email addresses there match? If so, then we need to see if your files are syncing as expected by running this quick test below:

1. When you add a file on the Dropbox folder on your iMac locally, does it get a green check mark on it after syncing  Arrows Counter ClockWhite check mark ? If yes, if you then log into the website, is the file viewable on your Homepage computer ▶️ 🕸️)?
  2. If you see the newly added file on our website, please check whether it’s updated on your MacBook Pro as well. 

Provided that we’ve passed all checks above, then you should be able to access Smart Sync both on your iMac & your MacBook by Control-clicking on the files you’d like to set as Online-only

It’s up to you to decide whether you’d like to use our desktop application on either device, however if you wish to uninstall it, you could reference the steps outlined on this resource. 

Do files that are deleted from dropbox, (but not permanently deleted) still take up space on my computer hard drives unless they are permanently deleted?

These files shouldn’t take up any local space as in Dropbox, however they may still reside on the Recycle Bin or on a different location on your desktop thus filling up your hard drive, which could be happening irrespective of whether they're permanently deleted in Dropbox.  

I hope that this sheds a bit of light & please do keep me know here if you have any follow-up inquiries about any of the above. Happy Monday! 

Jane

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jane

I appreciate your help and patience.  My head is just swimming with too much information.  I know I need to understand better how Dropbox works and work with smartsync for my files. 

Right now though, it is urgent that I unchoke the hard drive on my Mac Pro the simplest way possible.   I think you have told me I can remove Dropbox from my Mac Pro but continue to use it on my IMac and use it online.   Correct? If so how do I remove it/uninstall it from my Mac Pro?

thank you!  Wren

Helpful | Level 5

Hello

Success, I found the uninstall info, I followed it and freed up half of the space on my hard drive.

There are other things I still need to understand about managing files on Dropbox and how to sync files, but I am good for now.

thank you!  Wren

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Do I need to remove Dropbox completely if I'm running out of space on one of my devices?
10 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post