Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Do I really need 250gb free on my computer to upload a 250gb file to my dropbox?

New member | Level 2

I have a 250gb file on an external drive that I need to move somewhere else. My laptop has 150gb free, but my Dropbox account has 3,000gb available. I can't upload the file using the web browser because Dropbox does not allow that for a file this large.

When I try to drag the file into my Dropbox folder, it says I don't have enough disk space. Yes, exactly, that is what Dropbox is supposed to be used for, right?

I've been to the preferences, and I clicked "Manage all files" and deselected every folder I have so that nothing is synced anymore. "Save hard drive space automatically" is set to "On", Selective Sync has every single folder unselected. Still can't copy the file over, because not enough disk space on my computer.

Is there really no way to upload a large file to Dropbox unless I have that much available space on my computer at the moment? What the heck am I paying for if I need to store everything on my computer before uploading?

1 Reply

Re: Do I really need 250gb free on my computer to upload a 250gb file to my dropbox?

Super User

Hey @fyou, Yes the only way to upload such a big file is via sync. In your case, one possibility is to moving your dropbox folder temporarily to the external hard drive - https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder. Copy the large file in a folder inside the dropbox in new location (i.e., the external drive). Then use the selective sync to feature to select the folder containing large file to online only. Later move your dropbox to its original location in your laptop internal disc. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Do I really need 250gb free on my computer to upload a 250gb file to my dropbox?
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post