cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

Do I rearrange folders offline or on the Dropbox website?

Explorer | Level 3

I have 3 computers. One has got physical copies of all the stuff I want to protect. It's all been uploaded to Dropbox. The second computer has downloaded all the headers from Dropbox. The third will be used to upload only.

My first problem is that I want to rearrange all the material. Do I do this on Computer 1, or do I do it on the Dropbox wedsite?

Then I would like Computer 2 to download the new arrangement of the folders and files.

Finally, I want to configure Computer 3 for upload only.

I think I've found out how to the last bit, but the other things don't seem to be so straightforward.    

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Do I rearrange folders offline or on the Dropbox website?

Dropboxer

Hi @Dale J.2 - welcome to our Community and happy Friday!

As syncing is one of the core services we offer, you should be able to achieve that easily if you're running the desktop app on all those computers while you can also use the website to re-arrange your file/folder structure.

Just make sure that you're fully synced on all three of them (the desktop app within your computers' system trays/menu bars should state 'Up to date') and then adjust your sync settings according to your needs. 

You can use both selective sync and Smart Sync to achieve the end result so this would be up to you essentially and how exactly you'd like to set it up. 

I hope this helps and I'm always around if you have any additional questions Dale. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your reply. But I still have a problem. I suspect the origin of this particular issue is the peculiar file structure in Windows 7, in which the same folder names appear in the list of folders in different places. This problem was exacerbated when I was copying stuff from one computer to another using an external hard drive, because some of the file names were so long that they could not be copied directly, so I had to move them UP several folder levels, which eventually left my file structure system in a pretty chaotic state.

Anyhow, in Computer 1, I have a folder called "Documents" inside another folder also called "Documents". When I moved this UP two levels - thereby avoiding a name clash - I found that I had two copies of the folder, one in its new location, the other in its original location. No problem. I now deleted the latter. But, in Computer 2, a new folder called Documents (2) now appeared alongside Documents. I deleted this, but soon afterwards it reappeared.

So what would happen if I close down Computer 2, do all my rearranging on Computer 1 (which would be duplicated on the Dropbox website), then open up Computer 2 again. How can I tell it to mirror the new Dropbox website arrangement?

Thanks in advance.

Super User II

@Dale J.2 wrote:

How can I tell it to mirror the new Dropbox website arrangement?

You don't have to tell it to do anything. The entire point of Dropbox is that it will sync any changes made within the Dropbox folder. Any change you make on either computer will be synced to the Dropbox website, and then back down to any other comptuer linked to the account.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Do I rearrange folders offline or on the Dropbox website?
3 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post