cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Does Dropbox shape or throttle traffic in any way?

Helpful | Level 6

I am having a serious performance issue with Dropbox over the past several days.

Over the past 6 months in our new office my upload/download speeds have always been very acceptable, however after recently having to rebuild my workstation and subsequently re-synch my Dropbox folders and files, I find that my upload speed has dropped to near zero - only a few KB/sec.

I have run ISP speed tests, nothing has changed there - i.e. more than adequate speed

I also set the Upload and Download Rate limits to 'Don't limit'

My business partner on the same network is NOT experiencing the same problem

I have connected to another network (wireless, but with good speed) and there is no improvement

Windows 10 Pro with all updates.
Dropbox v85.4.155

The only thing I can think is that in re-synching my entire Dropbox I may have exceeded some download limit that I am unaware of.

The purpose of this post is to ascertain whether there is a likelihood that Dropbox is manipulating my uploads/downloads in some way, and whether there is anything in the terms and conditions of use that provides documentary evidence of that.
I have looked into that, but not been able to find any reference to usage limits (other than the size of your Dropbox which in my case is 3TB and only 27% utilised).

Anyone have an idea? And thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Mick

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Does Dropbox shape or throttle traffic in any way?

Dropboxer

Hello @Mick_AXB

Thanks for the detailed description of this experience. 

There are no limits to upload or download with the Dropbox desktop application. So you have not reached a limit since your accounts storage is not full and your Hard drive is not giving you a "full" error message.

From what you described, this sounds to be device specific. What we need now, to figure out  what is differerent in your workstation, compared to others in the same office. 

Do you have another cloud service "on" at the time? 

Do you have the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop (85.4.155) ? 

Do you possibly have a new security system that could be blocking Dropbox from operating? 

Did you go through the one time update recently? 

Are you able to upload via Dropbox.com? 

Thanks for the additional info. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Hello Fiona

Thanks for responding. 

In answer to your questions:

• No, I have no other cloud service active
  • My Dropbox version is indeed v85.4.155
  • No new security (I use Norton Security which has at all times played nicely with Dropbox)
  • Uploading via Dropbox.com does not seem to make a difference to performance

I think you have answered my question though, in eliminating the possibility that I may reached some volume limits that I was not aware of.

The issue may lie elsewhere, although it is mysterious that Dropbox seems to the only application that is affected. In all other respects my Internet related activity appears to be quite normal.

Dropbox.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for the qucik response and the screenshots. 

0.0 KB/sec downloading rate is a technical issue for sure. What I suggesat now is an advanced reinstall. This will resync all your files again, but should fix it. 

Steps for this process can be found here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

Note pushpin Reboot after you delete all app data and hen reinstall. 

If this doesn't fix the issue, I will create an email communication with you and forward it to a specialized team. 

Keep me posted! Thank you for your patience @Mick_AXB!

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

And thankyou too, Fiona.

I'll give the advanced re-insall a go and post my results.
Fingers crossed.

Regards
Mick

Dropboxer

crossed fingersThanks for trying out the suggestion. Keep me posted! nerd face

Fiona

Helpful | Level 6

Hello Fiona

I am pleased to report that I have resolved my Dropbox performance issues. 

The advanced reinstall procedure did not fix the problem, and as it turns out this is not surprising. The problem was related to a Hyper-V virtual machine (Windows 7 Pro) that I had created in order to process some legacy data with 32 bit MS-Access.

The setup included the creation of a virtual network adaptor in order to get Internet access inside the virtual machine.

I know virtually (haha) nothing about networks and networking so I was clutching at straws when I tried this, but I uninstalled the virtual adaptor from the VM and my Dropbox speeds returned to normal. I tested this theory again by adding it back in and performance went to zero. Removed it again and all was good.

Of course I don't know how Dropbox figures in this, but it definitely seems (in my case at least) to have been a side effect of having a virtual network adaptor in the host machine. 

Thanks for your assistance.

Mick

Dropboxer

Thank you so much for sharing and accepting your solution here. 

So happy you fixed it @Mick_AXB. Now everything makes sense! 

Please have in mind that currently Dropbox does not support a Virtual machine environment. 

Below some Community discussions we had about this. 

dividers

Sharing Dropbox with Virtual Machine

Can I run a dropbox on a virtual machine on the server?

Performance implications of storing Virtualbox machines in Dropbox

If there is any other Dropbox matter you wish to discuss, you know where to find us! grinning face with smiling eyes

Have a lovely day. Rainbow

Fiona

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Does Dropbox shape or throttle traffic in any way?
7 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post