cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Don't see 'sync now' option to prioritise which files sync first

Don't see 'sync now' option to prioritise which files sync first

kevanc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a personal dropxox account and am on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.4. I am syncing a large number of files and want to prioritise some larger files first. According to this article https://help.dropbox.com/sync/prioritize-files-sync I should be able to right click on a file with the blue sync icon and see option 'Sync now'. However, I do not see this option - see screenshot.

I want to know if this option should be available on Mac for a personal account or if it's only available on business account. If it should be avaiable is there anything I can try to troubleshoot the problem? 2019-04-06_12-10-28.png

Thanks for any help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @-X-ARCH & @UnkleRukus!

Sorry to not have provided this information before but if you have a Dropbox Plus, Professional, or Business account, you can prioritize a file to sync ahead of others syncing with the Dropbox app on your computer. 

Note: You can’t prioritize folders or package files at this time. 

In case you'd like to log a feature request for a similar functionality for folders, the 'Share an Idea' section of our Community is the right place. Here's a direct link:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Share-an-idea/ct-p/101002000

I hope this clears things up a tad and I'm always around if you have any more questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

kevanc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Apologies - I use this feature on my business dropbox account and just rechecked the article and it clearly says it's only for the professional business accounts

Sam_Buss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I pay for a personal (non-business) account, but do not have the "Sync Now" feature. I feel like this should be included with my paid account.  (Dropbox: are you reading this?)

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Sam_Buss - sorry to hear you're having issues with this

Can you please forward me a screenshot of the options you get when you right click on a file that's still syncing (it will have the blue syncing icon on it) in order to have a better look?

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

LABANA_Music
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Guys... I'm having the same problem under mojave ... I cant "sync now" my files!

Any solution??

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @LABANA_Music

Could you please provide us with more info on this so as to have a better understanding of what you're seeing? For example:

• Is the Dropbox desktop app running? Do you see the Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock? 
  • Could you also send us a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you right-click on your files?

Any additional details would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LABANA_Music
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

HI!

Thanx for the fast reply!

I'm under MOJAVE, and yes the app is running, but stucked since ever on 395 files to sync!

Actually I think is not really syncing at all! ;-(

Some funny request for permission any time and... well, I dont know what to do!

Screenshot 2019-08-14 at 03.10.16.pngScreenshot 2019-08-14 at 03.12.36.pngScreenshot 2019-08-14 at 03.09.15.pngEdited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshots, @LABANA_Music!

Please note that some info included in your screenshots has been removed for security and privacy purposes as per Community Guidelines

Moving on to your main concern though, please bear in mind that if you have the Dropbox desktop app installed on an external hard drive, you must ensure that the Dropbox folder is available when your computer boots and before the desktop app starts.

If the desktop app starts before the drive mounts and gets recognized by your computer, you'll see an error. You can find more info about this here

Additionally, since you mention that the desktop app is stuck, I'd also recommend checking if you have any symlinks in your Dropbox folder. 

Symlinks refer to data in locations outside of the Dropbox folder, so the desktop app can get stuck attempting to access them and can be the cause of various issues such as poor syncing performance, permissions issues, and data loss. 

For this reason, I'd recommend checking this article (step 7) out for more details and relevant steps on how to tackle symlinks in case you find any. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LABANA_Music
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi...!

Well, sorry about the info on the files... but it was unimportant info!

Moving on to "our" main concern

DB folder is not on external drive!

Don't hav any Symlinks! checked!

And see,  since the begening of dropbox, I was the happiest client, and I can't remember how many people I've got to join the DB family... but for sure you can see it as I've got always some free space from you before I decides to buy the service!

Now, It has always worked, on every system I've used, as well 1000´s of people around, what comes to the point that I think your developers needs to work harder and faster to get this issue solved...

I'n not the kind of programer guy, a simple happy User, so whenever you start talking about Terminal on your responses I get nervous as I don't really know how to use that!

I beg you for the sake of our time, please give a clear solution where I just install a valid version as I did for many many years now...

Of course I understand Apple is "weird" when it comes to give info and accaes to 3party apps, but this is a service you offer, so if it doesnt work will be sad to leave the fam!, specially when just for fwe month the price rised!

Please let me know soon what to do, and when is the updated working version out!

Looking forward to your answer!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me, @LABANA_Music

I'd be more than happy to look into this with you a bit more in-depth, so I've sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?