cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Download 4.76 GB Outlook pst file fails

Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

One of the main reasons why I signed up to Dropbox was to store my old Outlook PST files with client contact info. Uploading to Dropbox was no problem. Downloading to Windows10 IS a problem. Can get the download process started, which completes without errors. The pst file is in the expected location, however the size is 0 bytes. Duh.

Both the desktop client as well as the web interface show this kind of behavior.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards

6 Replies

Re: Download 4.76 GB Outlook pst file fails

Dropboxer

Hey @Arthur2, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

I'd be more than happy to help look into this, I'll just need a bit more info, such as:

• Do the files appear as 0 bytes when you view them from the website and the desktop app? 
  • Could you also send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what your Dropbox icon (next to your computer's clock) shows when you hover over it?
  • Are you by any chance using Smart Sync
  • Have you tried downloading them from another browser or an incognito window?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

dropbox-screen.JPG

This is the view of the Dropbox desktop client on my Windows machine. I moved the pst file in a new directory to hide personal detais.

Helpful | Level 6

Hello Lusil,

To answer your 4 questions:

1. No, what I do is download a 4.76 GB pst file that is present on Dropbox. I initiate the download via the Dropbox Windows desktop client after selecting the file first and next press the "Save as...." button and select a location C:\Downloads   It takes a while for the download to complete, as you would expect for such a large file, the file shows up at the expected location, only the size it has on my Windows machine is not 4.76 GB but 0 bytes.

2. There is only 1 Dropbox icon and that is the one in the taskbar, corresponding to the Dropbox Desktop client. In the vincinity of the clock there is no Dropbox icon, also not under "show hidden icons".

3. If Smart sync means a directory on my Windows machine that has a twin brother on Dropbox, no I don't.

4. I only tried my standard browser Chrome. Will try the Windows browser. No idea what an "incognito window" is.

Waiting for your response and while trying the Windows browser download,

Regards,

Arthur

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot and the additional info, @Arthur2

The spaceship icon means that the file isn't previewable. You can find a few example of files that can be previewed here

You can try downloading the file from an incognito window, which is a private browser. For example, you can find more info about incognito mode on Chrome in this link

You can also rename the file into something else, try downloading it once more, and see if that does the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

Problem Solved!

The Edge browser did the trick, ufff quite a relief!

Google Chrome did not work and perhaps your IT-folks should have a look at the Dropbox desktop client, that didn't work either.

Anyway, faith in Dropbox restored.

Wish you all the best for 2020 from the Netherlands.

Regards,

Arthur

Dropboxer

Glad to hear all's well, @Arthur2

Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Wishing you an amazing year ahead from Dropbox! 💙

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Download 4.76 GB Outlook pst file fails
6 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post