cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download directly video file to dropbox

Download directly video file to dropbox

readymade
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I would like to add url video file example http://www...com/video.mp4 to be directy downloaded to my dropbox. Because I don't want to be download to my PC and then to my dropbox. My internal hard drive has only 32gb

Is there a way (plugin etc) to do this?

Thanks

17 Replies 17

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey there @readymade

If you’re trying to download a file directly to your Dropbox account and you have the desktop app installed, you can either choose the location to be your Dropbox folder when you get the prompt or make the default location of where your files get downloaded to from your browser settings. 

If I’ve misunderstood what you’re trying to achieve, don’t hesitate to give me a nudge here. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

readymade
New member | Level 2

@Lusil

I did not use the dropbox app but selected the folder dropbox in my file explorer. The thing is that it download local and then move it to the dropbox folder. That's the reason why the download task is suspended because I do not have enought space in my internal hard drive

So you say that with the dropbox app it's different? Did you experience that? Because I don't see the option/menu inside the app to add the url inside the app

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for getting back to me, @readymade

At first, I wanted to clarify that the Dropbox folder in your File Explorer is part of the desktop app. 

As per your main concern though, there is one way that I can think of to save a URL to your Dropbox account without syncing it to your Dropbox folder on your computer, and that is with the help of selective sync. 

In other words, if you don’t have any space on your hard drive but you want to add content to your Dropbox, you can do the following:
  • Create a new folder in your Dropbox folder or from the website. 
  • Click on the Dropbox icon that’s next to your computer’s clock. 
  • Select your avatar that’s on the top right corner of the menu that appears. 
  • Click Preferences
  • Go to the Sync tab. 
  • Select Selective sync.
  • Find the folder that you just created and remove the tick mark that’s next to it.
Now, you can save a file in that selectively synced folder, keeping it in your Dropbox account but not syncing it to your computer, thus saving space on your hard drive. 

Additionally, since you mentioned that it’s a URL that you want to save, you can drag and drop the URL into the folder that you selectively synced. This way, you will have the URL available in your Dropbox account without syncing it locally on your device. 

I understand that this may not be the simplest list of workarounds, but I do hope it helps to some extent. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

readymade
New member | Level 2

Thanks a lot @Lusil

but I'm quite doubtfully, maybe because I did not understand your solution, maybe because you did not undertand my issue.

If I do not synchronise the folder and the files inside will not be visible in my laptop. 

And I do not want to save a link but the video. Insert the video url download (in a plug in?) and download directly to a dropbox without previusly be downloaded to my pc. 

My hard drive space is too short

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey again @readymade

@readymade wrote:

If I do not synchronise the folder and the files inside will not be visible in my laptop. 

If you choose to selectively sync a folder, then yes, the files inside it will not be visible on your laptop (saving space on your hard drive) but they will be available on your account through the website. 

Since the Dropbox folder on your device is just like any other folder on your computer, the files inside it take up space on your hard drive. As such, if you download a video onto your computer (whether you place it into your Dropbox folder or not), it will take up space. 

@readymade wrote:

And I do not want to save a link but the video. Insert the video url download (in a plug in?) and download directly to a dropbox without previusly be downloaded to my pc.

I’m afraid there isn’t a way to do this.

The indirect way or workaround to this would be to:
  • Temporarily download the video to your computer.
  • Upload it to your Dropbox through the website into a folder you’ve selectively synced on your device.
  • Once the video is saved in your Dropbox account, remove it from your computer. 
Once again, I understand this isn’t ideal. Nonetheless, let me know if there’s anything else I can help with. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @readymade,

There was a small error in @Lusil's explanation. In fact to work would be need You to use 'Smart Sync'! If 'Smart Sync' isn't active then You are right - file will be locally saved and without any sync. If 'Smart Sync' is active then files saved will engage minimal space (in fact buffering) and will be forwarded directly to the dropbox server in Your account.

Hope this helps to some extent.

readymade
New member | Level 2

@Здравко  a écrit :

Hi @readymade,

There was a small error in @Lusil's explanation. In fact to work would be need You to use 'Smart Sync'! If 'Smart Sync' isn't active then You are right - file will be locally saved and without any sync. If 'Smart Sync' is active then files saved will engage minimal space (in fact buffering) and will be forwarded directly to the dropbox server in Your account.

Hope this helps to some extent.

thanks to additionnal explanation. In fact, yes, it's the purpose of cloud to take much more space in the hard drive (buffering). But what is smart sync'

Is there a way to save my video without taking space to my PC? 

Website server (where there is the video) > Dropbox

and not Website server (where there is the video) > PC > Dropbox

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

readymade
New member | Level 2

@Здравко  a écrit :

@readymade, take a look at: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync

ok thanks. So if i take the smart sync, I open the download windows in my browser, save the video file into the dropbox folder, it will be ok? : the file will not be taking space into my internal hard drive? Sounds strange.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

readymade New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?