Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Downloading Files Times Out

Explorer | Level 3

Hi my customer can not download files I have shared with them though previously they have had not issue. I have now tried to download my own files, there are 157 files totaling 61MB, download is fast untill the last 15MBs then it slows to a crawl and eventually times out. 

Another customer files works fine of a greater folder size 118MB though less number of files.

9 Replies

Re: Downloading Files Times Out

Dropboxer
Hey @Magnum, if it’s not too much trouble for you, could you try repeating once through an incognito window/in private browsing mode/without any extensions running & see if that's the solution you're looking for? As an additional step, would you mind clearing your browser's cache & see if this does the trick for you this time? If you’re still getting the same error message or you get stuck in any way, I’d appreciate it if you included a screenshot of any error/diagnostic messages you’re seeing in your next reply here, so as to get a better idea of what’s happening.

Following, if you’ve ruled out this being attributed to a connectivity issue, I’d suggest checking that you’ve installed the latest browser update.

Please let me know how you get on with my suggestions here & once you get back in touch with me, we can discuss it in more detail. Until we talk again, have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi 'm not even sure what most of that surgestion means, I don't know what a 'incognito window/in private browsing mode' is, but do know about clearing cache. Trouble is though it's happening to a customer to start with and they tried two different PC computers, then they contacted me so only then I tried on two of my Macs with the same result so it's not computer isolated. I have attached the download progess window #1 all is fine it's going to take under 1 min for 231MB @ 3-4MB a sec, #2 progress has almost stopped 3sec out and is going @ 1-2kb a sec, #3 it has stopped and though it says network connection was lost , #4 is what has been left in my downloads folder. Now #5 is a cutomers file that I was able to download though it was simalar in going very slow at the end. The August 2019 in the centre is all fine as it should be but oddly the top MACOSX folder is very odd I have never seen this before when downloading folder and it's content has been slightly renamed, is a very small file compaired to the orinal and will not open.

Remeber htis is only my Mac computer but cutomers well away from me on PCs are having the same problem. I am using Safari browser but have tried FireFox with the same result. 

I depend on this system so if it is going to become unrelaiable I will need to change, I have already had to setup with another supplier as I need to get this work to my customer.

Gary

Screen Shot 3.pngScreen Shot 3.pngScreen Shot 5.pngScreen Shot 5.pngScreen Shot 4.pngScreen Shot 4.pngScreen Shot 1.pngScreen Shot 1.pngScreen Shot 2.pngScreen Shot 2.png

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back in touch with me @Magnum, I’d happily further advise on how you could get going with that!

For starters, just to answer your question, let me briefly clarify that when you’re working on an incognito window, this wouldn’t retain any browsing history, cookies and site data, or information entered in forms & you can have a look at the relevant resource for Chrome, Firefox & Safari. Please let me know if you’d need me to further elaborate on this functionality Gary.

Now, your last message has been very helpful, as I now have all the details surrounding the case (which is amazing, thanks for the screenshots & all the details you’ve gathered for me), so it would be more efficient if we continued this discussion through our Official Support channel, as I’d need to see the results I’m getting on my end for the same content. 

I’d appreciate it if you confirmed your email ownership via email, so as to continue working on that a bit closer. Thanks again for your ongoing cooperation & I look forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Ok I was vaguely aware of  a 'private window' browsing, had stumbled across it but don't really use it. Have attempted to perform a download as previous and once again the same results occur.

Also remember this is not isolated to my computer alone so trying to sort my computer is unlikely to resolve the issue, unless it has occurred when uploading though I don’t think this is the case as some folders that have been in my dropbox space for a long time also have issues when trying to download.

There is also this odd MACOSX folder that is turning up when download is achieved and the folder size is larger than the same folder stored on my computer that is not uploaded to dropbox.

I have been told there was some issue with Google on the day this started that effected some applications, could this be the issue??

Dropboxer
It looks as if we’re making some progress, so we’re definitely on the right path @Magnum.

I saw your message & I have now sent you a brief reply back Gary, just asking a few more questions; would you mind having a second look at your inbox whenever you have a bit of spare time? Thanks again for sticking with me on that, I’m positive we’ll clarify what’s happening soon!

Jane

Zip - unexpected end of archive

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I have tried to download a zip archive from a dropbox folder but each archive ends up being corrupt.

Stating that there was an unexpected end of archive. Reparing the archive doesn't work with Winrar PC as I get another error from that program as well.

How can I solve this?

Re: Zip - unexpected end of archive

Dropboxer
Hey @slane147, your description echoes our conversation with Gary here, so I’ve merged both posts together, just so as to see whether there’s an emerging issue that we may need to look into in a bit more depth. 

If that’s okay with you, can you let me know whether you’ve tried covering the basics on your end, as in attempting to download the content through an incognito window/a different device/from a different network &c? Any detail you could include would be great! 

Additionally, have you noticed that happening only with Dropbox? Please let me know of your findings & I’ll do my best to check back with you!

Jane

New member | Level 2

Hi Jane,

Didn't do any of the stuff you mentioned.

But the errored archive I tried downloading was about 3GB.

After that I selected parts of the folder with max size 1GB. 
All of them completed without error / unexpected end of archive.

So not sure if that is the case with the others but with my archive
it's definitely a size matter.

Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping me in the loop on the progress @slane147

Are you getting any error/diagnostic messages along the way by any chance? If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you include a screenshot illustrating me what this looks like on your end (redacting personal information please)? I’m interested in seeing whether what you’re experiencing bears any resemblance to what the OP has been describing here. 

Thanks again for keeping in touch here & I look forward to hearing back from you!

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Downloading Files Times Out
9 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post